Anyone use Wicked Good Natural Briquettes?

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by smokin' dick, Feb 17, 2009.

1. smokin' dick

smokin' dick Smoking Fanatic

The fuel I use most often when grilling/Smoking is Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump. Great Stuff. I've bought two pallets over the past three years.
    The last time I got the lump I also picked up a pallet of the briquettes. Naked Whiz really like them. Anyway they burn fine and are easy to light, but there is one problem. They leave an off taste on the food. Anyone else have this problem? Used some last night in the mini smoker. Lit off about 16 briqs, added some apple wood, let the smoker get hot and added the gigantic lasagna fatty. About an hour in added 4 cold briqs to the fire, made a little white smoke and then turned blue. When the fatty was all cooked I could taste something was not right. The wife thought it was delicious. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. earache_my_eye

earache_my_eye Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

As with any briquette, there has to be some sort of binder to keep the charcoal dust held together. However, unlike the regular Kingsford briquettes, the Wicked Good briqs use only a natural starch binder....no accelerants.....no ashing components..etc...

As for why you would have an "off" taste after using them, I guess it would possibly have to do with the binder....after using just the lump for as long as you have, you would most likely be able to taste the difference...even though it's made with the same woods.

That's the best explanation I can come up with....[​IMG]

BTW, good call on the WGC lump....I've used it, and loved it.....but, it's a bit pricey for my pocketbook....[​IMG]

L8r,
    Eric

3. smokin' dick

smokin' dick Smoking Fanatic

BTW, good call on the WGC lump....I've used it, and loved it.....but, it's a bit pricey for my pocketbook....[​IMG]

L8r,
    Eric[/quote]

Love the Lump!
    By the pallet the lump comes to $12.66 per 22# bag. Just have to pick it up at their warehouse an hour away. And part with the cash of course.

Thanks for your thoughts. I just had the last piece of that fatty, with no extra tomato sauce on it and I think I was the victim of some of the dreaded creosote. Bitter taste and numbness on the tongue. I'm gonna stick with just using the lump in the mini smoker. With it's tiny fire box, 6"x6"x8", maybe adding those few cold briquettes impacted the fire just enough to produce a bad smoke. I've used the stuff in the WSM, minion method with no adverse effects.