Anyone use this diffuer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sandy...my RT 700 came with one. My understanding is that it's very important because if it's not there the center of the grates are gonna get really hot while the rest of the grate area will barely get any heat. I'd recommend calling Rec Tec and telling them one of your "friends" got one with his grill and you'd (politely) like to know why your grill did not have one included. I'd almost bet they send you one no charge

Robert

Haha sorry. I have the one that came with it. I was looking for one that won’t warp and this one sprung up in another thread. It’s 10g I emailed smoke daddy to see if they have reports or warping.

The Pellet Pro 10g Heat Diffuser is made by SmodeDaddyinc. I use it on my Austin XL and another member here, SlowmotionQue uses one on his Rec Tec Pellet Grill. I would buy it through the SmokeDaddy website and you’ll be able to save some money as well. It works great and my only advice to you is buy the non wood burning heat diffuser, which is the same as the one in your link. If You have any questions, call them and ask for Dennis.. He owns the company and is a great guy. https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/oem-replacment-heat-diffuser-heavy-duty-10-gauge/
Good luck.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: Roll_For_Smoke
Thanks! I have been emailing with Dennis. Seems like a great guy! I think I will try one.
My original one is warped but works and some days it bothers me more than others. For @$50 I would try it!

thanks Alan!

Haha sorry. I have the one that came with it. I was looking for one that won’t warp and this one sprung up in another thread. It’s 10g I emailed smoke daddy to see if they have reports or warping.

Weird. I've run through the 200# of pellets that came with the package I bought and run some pretty high temps. Mine has not warped. Gonna keep an eye on it though.

Robert

It works great and my only advice to you is buy the non wood burning heat diffuser, which is the same as the one in your link
Just curious as to why not, and for others if they need to replace. Thanks from all...

It’s odd for sure. Can’t seem to it making any difference but would be nice if it was square

10g Heat Diffuser anyone use one of these on a Rec Tec RT700 or 680?
Hey - this is not made for the Bull as the Bull is a rear auger. This is designed for a side auger like the RT-590.

Maybe Dennis could make one for the Bull. My deflector in my Bull has warped but works fine. To me, as long as it is not warped so bad to where it would push up on the drip tray, then no harm, no foul.

Just wanted you to be aware this is NOT designed for any pellet grill that is rear feed.

Reactions: RCAlan
Just curious as to why not, and for others if they need to replace. Thanks from all...

Why not the wood burning heat diffuser?? SmokeDaddy produces two heat diffusers, one that is able to burn wood to add real hardwood smoke flavor and one that is just a heat diffuser. When using the wood burning heat diffuser, the ignition of the wood can cause the temperature in your grill to rise and sometimes a lot and it can be hard to manage for some. If your goal is to have a top quality heat diffuser, then the non wood burning one from SmokeDaddy will work just fine. It’s made from 10g steel and it will not warp. Now, if you desire to add real hardwood smoke flavor to your pellet grill experience, then I would recommend buying the SmokeDaddy Magnum P.I.G Cold Smoke Canister. I know this is off topic, but I see posters here talking about how great the MB 560 GF Grill is and the lump charcoal and real hardwood smoke flavor profile that it makes... I get all that and then some when I added the Magnum P.I.G. Cold Smoke Canister to my Austin XL and there’s no increase in grill temperature, which is very important. No one wants to have too fight there pellet grill for temp management and the possibility of ruining/burning up their food. That can happen when using the Wood Burning Heat Diffuser. The goal is to be able to Set it and Forget it.... Ok, back to topic, lol... That’s why I suggest that if your goal is just having a top quality heat diffuser at a great price, then the non wood burning one from SmokeDaddy will work just fine. Now if you want that real hardwood smoke flavor from your pellet grill as well, then SmokeDaddy has that covered for you as well.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: Winterrider
This appears to be the SDHD but without the side pockets for wood. Those side pockets are made of a perforated metal which appears to do little for the actual structural integrity of the diffuser. So basically this is the SDHD but without the mesh metal for containing wood chunks or sticks.

I can tell you that if this is in fact, just the SDHD but without the side pockets, well then it is as solid as a rock and it is not going to warp like the stock diffuser can on account of the metal being so heavy of a gauge.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if I didn't already have my SDHD.

I applaud Smoke Daddy for turning the advantage of the SDHD, it's thickness, into a selling point, and skipping the side pockets for wood. In effect making lemonade out of what was in my opinion, a lemon.

The SDHD was a good idea, but as RC Alan above mentions, when burning wood in it, can result in temperature spikes, flames even, which can adversely affect your cook or limit some of the set it and forget it ability that your pellet smoker may afford you.

I think that Smoke Daddy has a potential home run here with this new diffuser as there is definitely a need for it.

I don't even use my stock diffuser anymore, preferring to use the SDHD for all cooks, but without any wood in it. And that's basically what this new diffuser is, or at least, appears to be.

Addendum: This product appears to not be a "new" product, but was one which has been in existence for awhile now. If so, well then I'd recommend skipping the SDHD and just going to it if you're looking for a new diffuser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterrider
Smoke daddy says it fits rec tec just fine oriented correctly. Looks pretty much the same as the stock one

Smoke daddy says it fits rec tec just fine oriented correctly. Looks pretty much the same as the stock one
It does "fit" but you have to turn it sideways and it fits lower to the firebox so therefore you can't get temps as high. If you don't care about getting to 600, then no worries.
I have the Heavy D heat diffuser which is the same design but has the area for wood. When I tried to put on high and left it go awhile, it topped out at 513 where with the stock diffuser, I can get to 600 even in cold weather.

Just food for thought as I have experience here.

I just received my Heavy D and it's working fine for me on my RT700. Yes, it does sits sideways, but I put a firebrick on each side to raise it. Dennis called me after I sent him an email and he said I could also use lava rocks and wood chucks to manage the smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky