Anyone use a Trash Can smoker.??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbone2k

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
I was thinking it would be cool to make. I ended up buying one after all. I heard some various statements about them.

1. Zinc poisoning from the galvanized cans. But has to get to 400F in there to have a potential problem.

2. Well, you shouldn't get it that hot anyway.

^ ^ that one there kinda got me. I did some on again off again research for the day and pretty much found all the same stuff.

You can actually die if you get it bad enough.. otherwise you could just get the flu. But, if you don't let it get that hot.. you're ok anyway.

Anyone try it or think it would be worth trying.?? when i looked around for this there wasn't any real "expert" smokers commenting on it. But, i didn't even want to risk it and just bought one. I thought, this sounds like a really fun project though. Thought maybe if i bought a couple cans of that grill paint stuff and just unloaded on the inside.? or, if i started a good fire in there to burn off all the zinc.?

What do you guys think.

you cant really burn off the zinc, you dont have hot enough fire.

save yourself the pain,sickness and build yourself a UDS... same price,no electric burners to mess with

Ditto!!
icon_cool.gif

For what you would have to pay for materials, plus your time, against what you would have when you were done, you would be just as well (if not better) off to buy an electric Brinkman, or similar. My $.02.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky