Anyone smoke with Ash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brianyzf

Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I have a bunch of ash trees in my yard and was wondering if I could smoke with it? I haven't read any mention of ash on this site. I know it burns pretty hot because I use it in my fire pit. I know nothing about trees so I up until yesterday I had no idea what kind of trees I had. So once I found out I thought I should ask.

I know a few smokers who use ash as their fuel. It has lotsa heat, but not alot of flavor.

I've got a bit as well , haven't tried it yet , but was thinking it would at least make some good heat and a nice coal bed for the more flavorful woods. Just gotta get my saw fired up and make some short rounds to split for the firebox.

Phil

Brian, the "Woods for Smoking" sticky has this on Ash-

As mentioned by Capt Dan, use the wood for your heat source and add hickory, misquite, cherry, etc for your smoke flavor.

Thanks, I actually thougth about using the ash for fuel so maybe I will try it afterall. It sure does give a lot of heat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky