Anyone smoke with Ash

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by brianyzf, Aug 12, 2008.

1. brianyzf

brianyzf Newbie

I have a bunch of ash trees in my yard and was wondering if I could smoke with it? I haven't read any mention of ash on this site. I know it burns pretty hot because I use it in my fire pit. I know nothing about trees so I up until yesterday I had no idea what kind of trees I had. So once I found out I thought I should ask.

2. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I know a few smokers who use ash as their fuel. It has lotsa heat, but not alot of flavor.

3. 1894

1894 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I've got a bit as well , haven't tried it yet , but was thinking it would at least make some good heat and a nice coal bed for the more flavorful woods. Just gotta get my saw fired up and make some short rounds to split for the firebox.

Phil

4. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Brian, the "Woods for Smoking" sticky has this on Ash-

As mentioned by Capt Dan, use the wood for your heat source and add hickory, misquite, cherry, etc for your smoke flavor.

5. brianyzf

brianyzf Newbie

Thanks, I actually thougth about using the ash for fuel so maybe I will try it afterall. It sure does give a lot of heat!