Anyone recognize this way to cook a butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stump

Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I've smoked a bunch of butts over the years. I usually try to find something that the wife and kids will enjoy and last year I made one using molasses and cutting it first. Everyone loved it and I can not for the life of me remember what I did with the recipe. Mine came out just about identical to the one in the thread. Does it look familiar to anyone? I think it was just pouring molasses on it the night before and covering with my rub recipe that I still have but I'm not sure. Let me know if anyone can find the thread.

This is the one I made last year and I've been searching for the last hour!

Last edited:
I've seen threads in other forums about molasses slathered pork butts.  They did not cut them, but it was basically an apple juice & apple cider vinegar injection, then slather with molasses and then hit it with rub of your choice.  Smoke like normal.

I've slathered butts with mustard and then rubbed before, so I presume molasses serves the same purpose but might enhance the flavor as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky