Anyone have any advice for smoking a 15lb boar butt? Which rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yellowfintuna

Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
I have a real nice butt from a wild boar. Its about 15lbs. Should I cut it in half? what kind of rub/chips would you use? I have a feeling this thing is going to take forever to smoke.

Yea it might not be a bad idea to cut that baby in half it is a big butt for sure. Any rub that you usually use will be fine but I use Jeff's rub a lot and always seem to like it. I usually like to use a mix of hickory and cherry or apple wood in my pork smokes. Good luck with the butt.

I personally would leave it all together. Now for your rub do you really like the flavor of the wild boar if so maybe alittle bit of salt,pepper and some garlic and then ler her rip. Butif you want to season it with a rub Jeff's here in very good and then there are alot out there I have used Old Bay alot and then a couple of local folks that have their rubs at a local gas store near me too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky