• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Anyone grow their own mushrooms?

jdixon

Joined Jul 24, 2021
As per the question above, does anybody do this? I was doing web searches for buying mushrooms to possibly make my own shroom ketchup and kept finding guides and books about being a mushroom grower. mushrooms 🍄🍄🍄

Now I heard before that mushrooms are easy to grow depending on which species and conditions, but is it? How do you get started?

Last edited:

qrkid

Joined Feb 6, 2013
I used to grow my own. I grew various oyster mushrooms, shitake, lions mane and piopino. It is not really difficult but you need to have a few things.
you can grow shitake on logs but that is a lengthy process and you need to have the right environmental conditions. Growing indoors you can control things like humidity. Need humidity up around 95% at times.
There are sites you can buy spawn from like https://www.ashevillefungi.com/

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Yes, I have grown mushrooms. Ease depends on type and substrate needed. Wine caps ( King Stropharia) are probably the easiest as you can grow them in the garden wood chip pathway.

Oyster mushrooms are probably the next easiest, but substrate sterilization is key prior to spore inoculation. After that, monitor moisture and temp. until mycellium fills substrate, then bring environment to fruiting temp. of mushroom and watch for fruiting.

Shitake I would rate third in difficulty.

jdixon

Joined Jul 24, 2021
I used to grow my own. I grew various oyster mushrooms, shitake, lions mane, and piping. It is not really difficult but you need to have a few things.
you can grow shitake on logs but that is a lengthy process and you need to have the right environmental conditions. Growing indoors you can control things like humidity. Need humidity up around 95% at times.
There are sites you can buy spawn from like https://www.ashevillefungi.com/
THAT'S AMAZING.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.