anyone ever use cherry wood?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by mcp9, May 20, 2008.

1. mcp9

mcp9 Meat Mopper

i did 2 beer butt chickens this weekend and used cherry wood that i got off of ebay. i guess it is the wood, cause i did not care for the chicken. made a sandwich, didnt like it. made some soup, didnt like it. chalk one up for the learning curve.

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Strange... I use cherry all the time. Hmm was it thin and blue?

3. chargrilled

chargrilled Meat Mopper

As richtee said, I used it all last year, tons of it and it was great to use, good smoke, hard wood. Turned out some great Q.

4. brianj517

brianj517 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hmmm...that is strange...cherry is one of my absolute favorites, I use it in almost every cook whether smoking or direct searing/grilling...Great flavor!

If you got it on ebay, are you absolutely certain it was cherry? Perhaps it was still a bit green and not very well seasoned?

5. mcp9

mcp9 Meat Mopper

not as thin as i would have liked. yet, not billowing. possibly bad wood? my girlfriend ate some of the chicken and liked it. im my biggest critic, maybe its just me.

6. lcruzen

lcruzen Master of the Pit OTBS Member

No problems with it here either.

7. diesel

diesel Smoking Fanatic

Never had a problem w/ it either. Use it all the time. I don't know about getting wood from ebay? I have plenty of access to cherry wood I wonder if I should try selling it? hmmm.

8. master_dman

master_dman Meat Mopper

I'll bet it was the Cherry wood.. why don't you send it to me, and I'll properly dispose of it.![​IMG]

9. memphisbud

memphisbud Smoke Blower

Yah, I'll bet it was the wood...either not really cherry, or not seasoned well...that'll give it a slightly "off" taste.

10. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I would never buy wood from ebay. Some people have no morals and would have no problem sending pine when you paid for cherry.

For the record cherry is one of my favorite woods to smoke with. Mixed with apple it does pork good!

11. jbchoice1

jbchoice1 Smoking Fanatic

I've used it, no problems. don't use hackberry for smoking.