Anyone ever try this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
I know some folks like to slather butter under the skin on a turkey before baking or smoking... has anyone ever tried placing strips of bacon under the skin? I'll bet that would be awesomely juicy and flavorful.

Hmmmm... sounds like an experiment coming soon.

I've actually done it on a rotisserie. Awesome results. They're like little self-basting strips! Never tried it in a smoker though.

Never tried it, but I gotta agree, it sounds interesting.

I wonder what impact, if any, the bacon would have on the skin.

If the heat is high enough, I'd think it wouldn't hurt it and you should get a nice crisp skin.

Man, I gotta try this!

payson, how did the skin turn out? What was the bacon like... soggy or ???

On the rottiserie it turned out very well. The skin was very crisp as you might expect and the bacon was somewhere in between. It got eaten before the chicken even came off the spit though. I've done it under the skin and I've toothpicked it to the exterior. Under works better. The bacon turns out better on the exterior though. Flare ups were not uncommon though. Wouldn't be a problem with indirect smoker heat though.

Well, honestly what made me think of this was Geek's creation with the yardbird and the cornish hen. If anyone tries this before I can get to it, please post the results!

Now I'm hungry and Jonesing for a good smoke!!
eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky