Anyone ever tried Ash?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobbydrake

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Canisteo, NY
I was just given some Ash that I cn use to make some nice wood chunks. It is already dried and it smells pretty good when I cut it with my saw. Anyone ever tried smoking with it?

Never used it but it is safe to smoke with.

Found several sites that sell or use ash wood.

"Ash, an exceptional hardwood that is a fast burner, has a light flavor which allows it to easily mix with other hardwoods."

NO---NO----Don't burn your old Louisville Slugger !!!!!
eek.gif

Just kidding, Ash should be about like Oak. Made 3 kitchens out of Ash. Worked just like Oak, except it was a little more "stringy".

I would think it would be a pretty good wood to smoke with.

Bearcarver

My grandpa used to use ash from what I was told to smoke fish.

Thanks for the info. I haven't gotten my smoker out for the season yet, but as soon as I do I will try the ash and let you all know how it goes.

Being a trim carpenter myself, I would think Ash would also be a lot like oak as well, though I have not used it as well.
Give it a go! Let us know.

SURE HAVE HAS A GOOD SMOKE AND A MILD FLAVOR.
i LIVE IN THE MOUNTIANS OF SOUTHERN CALI AND I OFTEN USE VELVET ASH.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky