Anyone else doing a rib roast this weekend?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voldaddy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Publix had rib roasts on sale so I picked 4 of them up. Going to do 1 for Easter dinner and freeze the others.

Going to rub with EVOO, kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Smoking with hickory at 225 to around 115-120*, then foiling and in the cooler for an hour.

I searched the forum and found a few threads on prime rib and read all of them.

Any tips, ideas, suggestions greatly appreciated. One question I do have is freezing the other cuts. I don't have a vaccuum sealer, so I'm thinking of wrapping in foil over the store wrapping? I don't want them to freezer burn and ruin. Should I just go to Wallyworld and buy a Food Saver?

Will have Q-vue tomorrow.

I always vacuum seal them but you could just wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then in butcher paper. I just picked up about 15 pounds on sale yesterday. I'll smoke a 5 pounder and slice the larger one into thick steaks.
tongue.gif

Buy the food saver. Youll never regret it.

Personally, I dont think 115-120 would be done enough at my house. 135 still leaves the roast tender pink and juicy. 2 cents...

Buying a food saver is well worth every penny. Whenever good steaks go on sale, get as many as possible and vacuum pack them and load into your freezer. They will keep for a long time and will be as fresh as the day you bought them when you thaw them out in the fridge.

I've really enjoyed the Publix sale this week. Bought three; just had our 2nd for dinner tonight. I vacuum sealed the 3rd one and will probably smoke it later. Oh, and 115-120 is PERFECT! I did both of ours this week to 120 and let them rest on the counter for about 25 minutes before slicing. Yum, yum, yum, delicioso!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky