Any recommendations for seasoning on cured pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

emuleman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
southern California
I have two five pound pork tenderloins that have been soaking in Pop's brine for the last 4 days.  Planning on taking them out on day number 13 and smoking them.  I am curious if anyone has a recommendation on what, if any seasonings I might use after I remove the pork from the brine before smoking.  I am worried adding anything with too much salt, which includes just about any rub these days, will overpower it since it will have some salt from the brine.  I was thinking maybe just some garlic powder and black pepper, but wanted to see if anyone had a better suggestion?

Needs nothing but Black Pepper is good too. Think Ham. Not much more needed...JJ

Mix up 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 TBSP paprika 3 tsp black pepper you can use more black pepper if desired.

After the cure, it is time to smoke. Before smoking, rinse the surface really well since there will be a heavier concentration of salt on there. Smoke at 325°F until it is 145°F in the deepest part of the center. This will probably take up to 1 to 3 hours. After about 1/2 hour heat up 3 TBSP of honey with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar. use this as a glue on the meat then sprinkle evenly with the mix of 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 TBSP paprika 3 tsp black pepper. The reason we cook at 325°F is to prevent the stall which will happen at lower temperatures and that can result in a much longer cook and drier meat. You can refrigerate it for up to two weeks or freeze it for longer. If you vacuum seal, it will keep longer still.

First of all, are you sure they are tenderloins, the size sounds to me like a chunk of loin.

Either way, I have to disagree with the above.

I make Canadian bacon all the time.

I coat it with just CBP, you can use mustard as a binder, so it sticks better.

Smoke at 225 until IT of 140, then rest on counter for an hour or so until it cools down.

Refrigerate overnight & slice on a meat slicer if you have one.

Al

Missed the size...5lb LOINS, Tenders are 2 pounds tops. I agree with Al 325 is too hot for me. I want more smoke time. You only need to get to 145, you can long smoke at 180 since it is cured...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky