Any New 40" MES reviews?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rstr hunter

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Fort Pierre, SD
Been thinking about getting a new electric smoker and from the comments here the MES seems to be a great system. Has anyone gotten the new 40" MES and how happy are you with the results?

I should be getting one in a week or so, I will post a complete review then.

I got one of the SAMS Club 40" MES and have only used it twice. The first was 3 racks of Baby Back Ribs (not enough
icon_smile.gif
) and the second a 10lb brisket. Still learning but the results were fantastic with the help from this forum. By getting it from SAMS I was able to get the 3 yr extended warranty for 39.00 which I hear is important to some MES models. I "borrowed" the rub recipe from the folks here and did the 2-2-1 on the ribs and they were the best I have ever eaten. The brisket was good but no smoke ring which does not aid in flavor. It had a good smoke flavor and with the techniques here it was tender. Too cold this week for me to get out and cook so it will probably be next week before the next smoke. I did not think to get any QView pics but will next time. Get one and enjoy.

Thanks,
James

PoetryWW it would be great if you posted some pics of the new 40" MES sam's version. Outside, Inside, all the components, and especially the tag with the wattage and model number. Thanks....

yeah and let us know where abouts you live. Not sure if they have them here yet. No Sam's close to us but am willing to find one if they are available.

Spoke to a Sam's rep here in SW Florida regarding that 40" MES unit and he stated that they no longer have a contract with Masterbuilt!!...but then again....there are many loopy morons around these parts too, so who knows.

I am looking to get the new 30" which is available locally. If I can smoke enough food for a family of 3, or a few more folks with a 30", would I really need the 40"?

footnote: hope that wasn't Lowes i was speaking to. Sorry for any confusion, guys. I am trying to sort this out for myself regarding availability of wither of these newest units at sams, lowes, or home depot.

I can tell you that I have a 30" and have been able to smoke enough for my family and more. The times I would like to have a 40" is when I smoke snack sticks. If I do more than about 10 or 12 lbs I do the smoke in two batches. Not a problem with summer sausage but there are only four racks and the snack sticks fill them quick. I have had better luck with laying them on the racks instead of hanging them. If I had it to do again I would buy the 40".
Doug

Thanks, Doug. That is very helpful. Much appreciated. Believe it or not, I am also concerned with power usage of the 40" compared to the 30". These are LONG smokes we are talking about. Hmmm.........

I have a 30 and can smoke a lot of food to feed my family and more. The only time the 40 sounds nice is when I have a full brisket or full slabs of ribs. Currently I tent the brisket to fit and cut the ribs to fit the 30.

DeltaDude,

My camera is not working right now but the Model number is GW040946 and the wattage is 1200w. It is black on the sides and has a stainless door with a window. The chip tray for adding chips is in the right side. The digital controls are top center mounted and the vent is top/right. Also it has a meat probe that so far is accurate. I am very pleased with the unit but have nothing to compare it to since this is my first electric. I looked at the 30" at Bass Pro and was not impressed with the size of the racks. I had 3 full racks of babybacks on my first smoke cross wise and it was not crowded.
For those who wondered where I am located, I live in Poetry Tx. just north of Terrell and east of Dallas. I bought my unit at SAMS on Bucker in East Dallas. I will try to get some pictures as soon as the camera charges up.

Thanks,

James

Cool! How does one "tent a brisket", other than the usual foil-tenting that I do know about? :)

I just bought the Sam's Club MES 40 today. I returned an unused 20070508 model received as a Christmas gift to Gander Mountain today as well. The 20070508 model was not the upgraded 40 with the new 1,200 watt element, "service" panel in back, and smaller chip tray.

The model number of the Sam's Club MES 40 I bought today is 20070810. I've seen it reported elsewhere as 20070710, but mine is the 20070810 version, and it IS the new version with 1,200 watt element, "service" panel on back, and smaller chip tray - of course black box, silver front door with window, etc., etc. too.

I haven't unboxed mine yet, although I went over the "display" model in detail - engineers tend to do that
icon_wink.gif
. Here is a photo of the model number on the box.

As soon as it "warms" up here in Southeast Texas, I'll "season" my new MES 40, and do some brisket and ribs.

Treytexag.

I checked with our local clubs today and none of them had them in but said they had 4 on order but as to when they would get them they didn't know....
PDT_Armataz_01_31.gif

I got a new 40" MES for Christmas. I've smoked with it twice, and its worked well so far. The window is pretty much useless, after about 5 hours of smoking it turns brown, plus it is not double pained or insulated so it probably contributes quite a bit to heat loss. My unit came out of the box with a small leak in the door seal, but it is in a convenient location near the top for an additional temp probe wire to go in. I put a ceramic tile over the heat source as suggested by some posts here to minimize the hot spot.

so far i like it, but time will tell if its durable. I haven't put a meter on it to check how much power on average it consumes. I think it would be interesting to see how much the electricity costs to do a 10 hour smoke with it.

Great post, Ron. You did well in supporting your cause....uh....without upsetting management, that is!
icon_smile.gif

Maybe the window is for the MEAT to keep an eye on you the first couple of hours and observe the anticipation and drooling of you and your neighbors, eh?
icon_eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky