Any Good Ideas For Smoked Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazydazz

StickBurners
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
WHOVILLE, NEBRASKA
icon_neutral.gif
I'm looking for some ideas for smoking some ribs for my wife in my frige smoker..... Recipes how tos anything would be a great help.....

Hope you don't take offense to that?
I love beef ribs neat. Salt & lots of Pepper. A little mequite and lots of hickory. I prefer well done, tender.
But I think a teriyaki style would be great also.
Good luck

Go back to the main SMF home page and scroll down until you find Pork then look in there for all kinds of tips and recipes
Good luck

the best idea i have is................

bring 'em over to my place when they're done!

great minds think a like.........now only if we had 2 great minds!

crazy -

i got a method that has worked well for me. i came up with it on my own, but i developed it using bits and pieces of things i read here and there, including the BBQ FAQ and here at the SMF. (click here to download a safe zip file containing the BBQ FAQ in word document)

the best part about it is that it's a good one to learn on as well, and when i got good at it i started little variations here and there (making my own rub, substituting different ingredients in the mop, etc). eventually, i gained enough confidence to go out in some really interesting directions. the funy part is that the same basic method that i developed is still the most consistently good one i have found. the rub i specify is my favorite (store-bought) rub, but if you can't find it or prefer a different rub, then feel free to use that instead.

TasunkaWitko’s Method for Spare Ribs

(These took 3rd in the 2008 Chinook Annual Rib Cook-off!)

Stuff needed –

· Plain, Yellow Mustard
· Durkee’s St. Louis Style Rub (get more than you think you will need)
· Low-sodium soy sauce (Kikkoman is good)
· Dr. Pepper
· Olive oil
· Apple Cider Vinegar
· Dark Brown Sugar

Before cooking:

· IMPORTANT! If necessary, remove membrane from bone-side of ribs!

· Brush with a light but thorough coating of mustard

· Apply rub generously

· Cover and let rub work in over night in refrigerator

· Next morning, get smoker up to 230-250 degrees – sprinkle on a little more rub.

During cooking (230-250 degrees MAX):

· Brush or spray with mop (1/3 cup olive oil, 1 cup Dr. Pepper and 2/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce – mix well with hand blender before each use) every 45 minutes to an hour or so (this is also a good time to tend the fire, if needed).

· Turn and rotate ribs around on grates as necessary if using horizontal smoker (optional but not necessary w/vertical water smoker).

· Keep a thin, almost-blue smoke. Recommended woods: apple, cherry, maple (or a 1:1:1 combination of these three) – or hickory.

· Cooking time can be anywhere from three to five hours depending on conditions.

· When INTERNAL temperature of ribs is around 172 degrees and meat pulls away from bones a ways, they are ready for final stage.

Final Stage:

· Toward the end of cooking time for ribs, mix together in a small saucepan the ingredients for finishing glaze (1/3 cup mustard, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/3 cup dark brown sugar) over low heat until completely dissolved and thoroughly blended. Cover and set aside.

· Moments before ribs are ready to be pulled off, brush with glaze (both sides)

· As soon as ribs are pulled off, brush with glaze again (both sides).

BBQ sauce?

· Ribs cooked this way shouldn’t need any, but it is always good to serve some on the side, for those who don’t know that! ;)

I just had some baby back ribs from TGIF they where the JD seasoned and very suprised how good they where and the kidz loved them....

crazy i owe you an apology - i thought you were asking about pork spare ribs.

for beef spare ribs, try the same method with a couple of small variations:

for a rub, try durkee's kansas city steak seasoning. this is basically sea salt, cracked black pepper, granulated garlic and onion, and jsut a little bit of red pepper flakes. works very well.

the same mop should work very well for beef (you might try substituting beer instead of dr. pepper, but dr. pepper works very well, but with the finishing glaze, try ketchup rather than mustard.

enjoy!

any time, NWDave -

if you give either method a try, let me know what you think of them and also if you have any suggestions for improvements.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky