Any concerns using Unfinished Southern Yellow Pine Flooring

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

little smokey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Omaha
I have an opportunity to buy some Unfinished Southern Yellow Pine Flooring and thinking about using it for a smokehouse build, with it being flooring and Pine should I have concerns about using this wood?

If you do not line the smokehouse, and run it 250+ degrees F, some of the sap and turpintine in the wood could volatilize and become airborne and contaminate the meat. As the wood heats up, the pores open and that is when the vapors occur. For this reason, hardwoods were historically preferred for a smokehouse.

Reactions: JC in GB
If you do not line the smokehouse, and run it 250+ degrees F, some of the sap and turpintine in the wood could volatilize and become airborne and contaminate the meat. As the wood heats up, the pores open and that is when the vapors occur. For this reason, hardwoods were historically preferred for a smokehouse.

Would work for cold smoking though I would think....

Keith is absolutely correct. I've worked with many, many different types of wood all my life. You would not want to use this for a smokehouse that's going to be used for anything "high heat". You might be able to use it for sausage as long as the temp does not go above 170 to 180, but I'd still recommend against it. IMHO, unless you have a specific purpose in mind, the time and effort isn't worth the gain if it can't be used an an all purpose smoker.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky