Any Bourbon drinkers here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slim

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Bardstown, KY
My name is Ryan and i live in Bardstown, Ky.....were are born with boubon in our bottles here....lol....What are some of your favorites?

Right now i have in my whiskey cabinet:

Bourbons:

Knob Creek
Jim Beam white
Jim Beam black
Elijah Craig 12yr old
Elijah Craig 18yr old
Benchmark old No.8
Blantons
Bulleit
Makers Mark
Willet Single barrel
Bookers

Blended Whiskys:

American Honey
Crown Royal
Crown Royal Cask No.16

I swear im not an alcoholic....just a fan

Hi Ryan,

My Collection if you want to call it that...
  1. Jack Daniels Black
  2. Jameson Irish Whiskey
  3. Jose Cuervo Gold
  4. Vermouth
  5. Blue Sky Vodka
  6. Creme De Menthe
  7. Creme De Cocoa
  8. Sam Adams Boston Lager Beer
  9. Boulevard Wheat Beer

Count me in. My collection is mostly empties as it never seems to last long.

Makers Mark and Knob Creek are tied for the #1 spot for me.
Buffalo trace
Bulleit
Jack Daniels is ok but I have a specific use for it.
Jim Beam seems to be the more common purchase as it is cheap.
I have tried dozens more but they left very little impression on me.

My taste seems to wonder a bit. In college it was mainly Jim because of cost. Since then it has been Crown, Makers and more recently Jameson. I've never cared for beer and have mostly always drank hard liquor when I have a drink.

I highly reccommend Elijah Craig 12 or 18 yr old if you havent tried them.....the 18yr old amazing but kinda pricey. Makers is one of my favorite also.

Im not allowed to buy or drink Jack Daniels....family has been working in bourbon distilerys for ages.

I think you've got it covered. Commonsense I love knob creek. One of my favorites although ot a bourben is an Irish Whiskey called Bushmills, YUM!

Right now I've just got a little Maker's Mark on hand...

makers_mark_bottle-240x300.jpg

And Woodford Reserve is one of my favorites as well...

woodford_reserve_gr.jpg

Tell them it is a Free Country and Jack Black is GOOD for YOU...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Best bourbon I ever had was actually in Bardstown, Kentucky, at the April preamble event for the annual Kentucky Bourbon Festival held each September. It was the 20-year Pappy Van Winkle and it blew my mind. I've only had it a couple of times since then, it's hard for me to pull the trigger on a $75-100 bottle of booze, though I've bought shots of it a few times.

I also like the 107-proof 10-year Old Rip Van Winkle product, that and Eagle Rare are about as good as you can get in the $30/bottle range IMO.

When I quit drinking I quit gettin into troble. and locked up.. BUTT !!
I bought a bottle of Crown Royal on the tenth anniversary of my
house payments. Ten years ago.. Just made my last payment and filed the final papers last friday.. Dwarf[wife] and I am gonna drink one mixed drink between us and dump the rest of the bottle in the finishing sauce
this coming weekend. We gonna CELEBRATE !!.. [alkeyhaul will boil away within minutes] Gonna smoke SOMETHIN' ..[meat]
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Hemi..

Hi,
I have a lot of experience here-probably more than smoking meat (LOL) but not grilling. Anyway, I find Bourbons to be some of the finest liquor in the world. I had read someplace that some scotches were aged in bourbon barrels. In later years I grew fond of Irish whiskey. Of those I prefer:
Tullamore Dew (so smooth you can drink too much w/o knowing it) &
Jameison's, which you can get in ajug with a handle.
Jim Beam is always a good choice. The Beam Black is a bit harsh.
I would avoid anything with the word "Old: in it-Old Grandad, Old Crow, Old overshoes.

I never could drink much scotch, but found "the Famous Grouse" tolerable.

As to bourbons, of all the sour mash bourbon i prefer, are:

Jack Daniels-the king, but very heavy and overpriced.
Ezra Brooks, 90 proof and not as pronounced as JD, affordable
Evan WIlliams, very affordable but doesn't taste cheap like Bourbon
Have not had Knob Creek but it is expensive.
George D-i-c-k-e-l.

Other Whiskeys like Makers Mark and some of the Irish are very fiery, if you like that effect. In this class also is Wild Turkey, no offense to fans, but a means to an end rather than good sippin' likker. You will gobble.

I like the Tullamore Dew as it is very gentle-Irish whiskeys as a rule are all distilled at least three times. If you are so inclined there are junkets in Ireland called "Whiskey Tours" that you could go on and visit distilleries, and they don't gaurantee you will arrive home sober.

They used to have what they caled "bottled in bond" bourbons" very good, but not for a few years.

What I am saying is don't be shy about trying things not strictly bourbon. We have grown very fond of Gin & Tonics, specially Bombay gin.

Although top shelf rum is my passion I have a weak spot for single malt scotch, small batch, single barrel as well as cask strength bourbon.

Some of these bourbon's that you guys list,I have never heard of, the one's that I drink too much of are,,,

1. Early Times
2. Old Crow
3. Jim Beam
4.Evan Williams
5.Ten High
6.Ancient Age

Hard to beat a good bourbon,,,,,
icon_smile.gif

Makers is by far my favorite regular non celebration bourbon.
Others I like a lot at a decent price
Rare Eagle
Knob Creek
Woodford Reserve

on the Irish side
my taste is Tullamore Dew

I do shop price quite a bit and Makers is on the rise here in MI.

I did get a "good" buy on Bushmills 1608 when MI dropped it from $100 to $50 and the local booze seller just wanted it gone. Did not taste like $100 whiskey to me though.

Godspeed,
bigslick

Thanks for the update, did not know that about the corn%-so maybe some of the other ones I listed might be the same. (not bourbons)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky