Antelope Heart Dirty Rice...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
After I finished sharpening the grinder plates and knives last night, I pulled out the 12# bag of antelope meat I had froze to be ground, along with 3.75# brisket trim fat. Filled an ice chest with cold water and let the meat thaw overnight. I took the heart out, trimmed it and ran that through the grinder first, pulled that meat and set it aside.
IMG_20210124_184111.jpg

After filling the 1# meat bags, I had 13# and what was left in the stuffer hopper and horn. I added that to the ground heart in a pot and braised that down with onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic to brown down the meat good. Added a shot of wooster sauce, little hot sauce and some cajun seasoning, little water and added the left over rice.
IMG_20210124_193701.jpg

Good meal and I had to cook what was left in the stuffer anyhow...

BTW, grinder plate and knife worked great! Ready for the big processing day!

As long as the heart is not blown to bits from the bullet, I try to save the heart from all the deer I shoot. This was a little antelope doe that had been feeding on winter wheat. Not gamey at all...

Bet that was tasty ! Never would've thought of grinding it like that...sad thing is I probably forget more ideas than I ever get done lol!

Ryan

That's got to be Great!!!
I even love Deer heart, and we always ate that the night of the kill, if it wasn't too blown apart.
Like.

Bear

That's got to be Great!!!
I even love Deer heart, and we always ate that the night of the kill, if it wasn't too blown apart.
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear. It was good. I shot this one out of town in Montana so did not get to eat it fresh night of the kill. Dirty rice is a great way to eat heart though...

After I finished sharpening the grinder plates and knives last night, I pulled out the 12# bag of antelope meat I had froze to be ground, along with 3.75# brisket trim fat. Filled an ice chest with cold water and let the meat thaw overnight. I took the heart out, trimmed it and ran that through the grinder first, pulled that meat and set it aside.
View attachment 481715
After filling the 1# meat bags, I had 13# and what was left in the stuffer hopper and horn. I added that to the ground heart in a pot and braised that down with onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic to brown down the meat good. Added a shot of wooster sauce, little hot sauce and some cajun seasoning, little water and added the left over rice.
View attachment 481716
Good meal and I had to cook what was left in the stuffer anyhow...

BTW, grinder plate and knife worked great! Ready for the big processing day!
True Cajun right there. Just add rice.... love it

Thanks Bear. It was good. I shot this one out of town in Montana so did not get to eat it fresh night of the kill. Dirty rice is a great way to eat heart though...

I usually just cut it up & fried it.
It was usually pretty tough.
Ground up & mixed with rice, like you did would have to be better!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky