Another WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herkysprings

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Eugene, OR
Hopefully I'll score another 18.5" WSM, 2008 model for $120 (or less...)

My question is that model had a smaller water pan I think. What was the going "mod" to change that out, or a good place to purchase that item?

It was a waterpan or something for another smoker, but I cant remember which one.

Thanks in advance. I'm going to take this one to my parents house so I can BBQ for them when I'm visiting. :D

The mod was to replace the Weber water pan with a Brinkman charcoal pan.

You could also try some play ground sand, no need for water, in the original pan.

Do i have to wash the sand?

Just sand then foil on top? I might try this, I've run my other WSM dry before and it had no issues.

You can check this link out. But I have done some reading a few folks out there say when using the webber charcoal pan for the water pan it does hold more water but the bottom of the pan is much closer to the coal's so the water evaporates faster. Also the charcoal pan is flat and has a lot more surface area to heat up. This is just what I have read..

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/waterpan.html

Congrats on the WSM decision,

I like the trend, WSM's & charcoal are gonna take over SMF at this rate.
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky