Another Tri Tip that i am PROUD to show even if i cut it wrong.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokemifugotem

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 2, 2009
Boise Idaho
I was hungry again.. for more Tri. This time, I decided to marinate it overnight in a Tiger sauce rub with a little bit of Spaten beer.
Pulled it out of the fridge after 15 hours and lightly patted it dry, and rubbed it with my usual concoction. Threw it on the smoker at 230 for about 4 hours in the coldest weather i have ever smoked in! The high for the day was 4 degrees!!! After it hit 145, i pulled them inside and sliced them
.....I would like to take this opportunity to express my views on the debate of how you are "supposed" to cut your beef. I have read lately, a few comments that i do appreciate, and i will be putting this new found education to use next time i cook Tri tip. However.. I must defend myself. I am very proud of what i accomplish in my homemade smoker, and like to share with all of you pictures of said smokey goodness. I am still under the impression there is no wrong way to slice up your meat. As long as it gets cut into edible sized slices.... If there is a way to slice your meat that renders it inedible.. please let me know.
Now for the QVIEW!!!!!

Fresh off the smoker!

sliced inappropriately... But still quite edible!!!!

On a Kaiser, with cheddar cheese and bbq sauce. The dipping sauce that i made is a 50/50 mixture of tiger sauce and horseradish. Very delicious! I have leftovers!!! Who's hungry???!!!

You wouldnt see me complaining about how you cut it
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I saw the thread that critiqued the slicing of the tri-tip. I wouldn't get too wound up over it. I think the bottom line on that is, slicing with the grain gets you, "chewier" slices whereas slicing against the grain the meat just breaks down better in your mouth and requires less chewing. The same debate exists when slicing jerky as well. the funny thing is it truly is a preferential thing. Some like it chewy and some don't. Simple as that so whatever works for you is ok by me and prolly most the other folks here too.

For the record I prefer to slice against the grain, but that's just me.

Enjoy! It looks quite tasty to me!

they both look great to me and I would have sliced it the same !!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Sliced it wrong...well dang, that just ruins everything! That perfectly beautiful piece of delicious smokey goodness is just not enjoyable anymore....OHHH PUHHLLLEEASE! I could eat a whole bunch of that, no matter how you slice it! Props for smoking in the cold too.
points.gif

It is no good sliced like that send it to me and i will dispose of it for you
icon_smile.gif

Looks good i would of sliced it the same way

It's really hard to go wrong with a Tri Tip, maybe if you overcook it? Congrats on enjoying a nice cut of beef.

Smokem----nice lookin' tri-tip. I am overjoyed that you are proud of your tri-tip. That is the best sign that you attaining BBQ greatness.

I lke the diagram that Ciolli posted, and I agree with you that slicing perpendicular to the grain makes slices that vary from small to very large and are not uniform. This posting is closer tan being perpendicular to the grain than your last posting. You can cut 2 tri tips exactly the same and come up with different degrees of cut---the reason for this is the grain does not run exactly straight from the tip of the boomerang---it runs at an angle. If you slice one with the fat side up and another with the fat side down---cut them exactly them same as they sit on the board---and they will have a different degree of cut.

Ciolli's method is exactly perpendicular and by halfing the long cuts he is attaining more uniform slices. The way you sliced this tri-tip is the way most people slice.

I have been told that the grain also differs wether the tri-tip is left or right side---I am not a meat cutter and am not positive about this--but it seems to make sense.

Keep on BBQing and remember---there is never a wrong way---sometimes there is a better way-----I learn something new methods all of the time. This forum and others have helped.

I guess if you took all that time to smoke it sooooo well then put in a sausage grinder... and turned it into jerky.... well now that would be something else entirely... SO Whats the BEEF? it looks great seiugt! YUMMO!~!.. oh yeah yesterdays high was -8'F.. NO smokin in the Gallatin this winter .. the silver smoker just Will NOT get anywhere near temp! good work on the smoke! and bring some over for the redlodgecation!

CHEERS!

HBBdBBQ!~!

Chill Bro. No one is criticing your cutting techniques. We all have different way of cooking/smoking/foiling/injecting and whatever. We do what works for us. Your trip-tip was awesome. My screen has drool marks on the screen are a testamentment to you skill!

Thank you all for your kind words! Today has been an off day for me. I usually dont let much get under my skin. I am always trying to further my q abilities and will take any criticism. All i ask, is dont make fun of me. I dont make fun of any one on here, and never will. Some of us are new to this game and not seasoned 30 year veterans. We need your help. Not your insults. No matter what i cook, i am proud of it. Thanks again everyone!!!! More Q to follow!!! And Heliboy,... maybe a smoke might be in order for one of the nights i am in town. eh???? I bet i can get your smoker up to temp!!!
Old friends bicker the most.

Hey, I'm with you - if it tastes good when it is done, be proud of it! That tri-tip looks great. After eating beef the last two nights at restaurants with menus that were not in English, seeing a properly cooked tri-tip has inspired me to pull one out of my freezer this weekend when I'm back in the US and throw it on the grill.

One thing I will say about slicing, why not just try it both ways on one steak? Slice it from the side the way you did for a few slices, and then slice it from the point for a few slices? I ended up trying this eventually, and that is how I decided how I prefer cutting mine.

Nice looking tri tip! Now, let's really get tricky... Cut the tip in 1" slices with the grain and serve. Then you lay the meat on your plate and cut across the grain to eat... a little trick my dad taught me..! But, no matter how you slice it, it's all good!

Personally I likeyour slicing and like chuckwagon says theres no real way to slice them right. The grain moves and is not is one direction like some meats. I would eat it anyway it comes off the board. But you did a great job smoking it and thats the main part so keep on smokin on.
points.gif
form me for a good job and you slice it the way you want to and I'll eat it.

Dude, that looks amazing. Don't ya just love tri-tip sandwiches? Oh man nothin better than a slab of beef with some chedda and a tangy sauce. It's official, you've made me hungry!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky