Another satisfied Smoke Hollow user

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cubadad

Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Belton, Missouri
I joined this forum on Jan. 3, 2007. Needless to say, I read the posts with an eye to getting into the smokin' thing. Had hoped to do so long ago, but my wife became ill and passed away in June of '07. Really hadn't looked at the forum again until early August of this year.

Went out and bought a Smoke Hollow Gas Smoker about then and my son-in-law and I seasoned it prior to leaving on a 2 week trip to Maine. After returning, I invited my son and my 2 daughters and their families over for some smoked Q. I spent the entire day before (about 9 hours) smoking a 6 pound brisket and a couple of slabs of baby backs.

T'was my first Q and I wasn't really too sure of what I was doing, but I tried to follow the advice and tips I had read about on the forum. The Smoke Hollow smoker performed flawlessly, keeping a steady 220 to 230 degrees all day... after I did fair amount of gas valve twitching and vent adjusting, that is. Once I got it figured out, it stayed very steady.

The menu was:
Brisket
Baby Back Ribs
Smoke in the Holler Beans (from a recipe by one of the forum members, maybe Dutch?)
Corn on the Cob ( finest I have had in a long time!)
Potato Salad
Green Salad
St. Louis Red Sauce on the side (Made the sauce from scratch)
and of course, drinks to please.

Well, the consensus of opinion was that the brisket was great but the ribs were awesome!
I had to agree. I smoked the ribs using the 3-2-1 plan. Actually, it was about 4 1/2 hours and I pulled them out at 172 degrees internal temp. The brisket smoked for about 8 1/2 hours total. At 180 degrees, I foiled it and then took it up to 200 degrees.
All the meat was prepared with a dry rub (no mop or sauce) and I spritzed it frequently with apple juice. During foiling, I pretty much doused the meat with apple juice before closing up the packet. I smoked the whole shebang with apple wood.

Thanks to all of you, my first Q was really good and personally very satisfying to me. And I had a wonderful day with my kids and grandkids!

Cubadad...it sounds like you got it going on.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Cubadad,
Greetings, so sorry about the loss of your wife. I am glad to see you have picked up a passion. Smoking is a great passion to have as it does bring people together, so you get to cook for your kids and grandkids!
Now how about trading some lechon or congri?? YUMMY!!
Happy smokes...
here is a tutorial for the pix also..

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...tures+tutorial

Glad to see that you're posting, Cubadad. My condolences to you on the passing of your wife.

Glad to hear that your first smoke was a success. For the record, the "Smoke in the Hollar Beans" was posted by travcoman45 (Tip) not me, mine are Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans".

Seeing as this is your 1st post, we'll forgive you for not posting any q-view. Some will come right out and tell ya, "No q-view, never happened". Next time, keep the camera handy.

Enjoy!

Great to here ya Smokeing...it really can get the family together...sounds like a good time was had by all...Our family is sorry to hear of your loss...but reading, and posting that is one fine way to learn..pick the brains of some great BBQ cooks and a few guy that just burn meat...
Welcome Cubadad come on in the TBS is fine.

Welcome cubadad...Sorry about your wife...Now that you're smokin and hanging out around here you'll have plenty to keep you busy and since there always to much meat for just one can keep the family coming by..

Welcome Cubadad,

Love to hear that the SMF has helped yet another person to enjoy great smoked BBQ at home. Its nice that your kids got to enjoy your first success with you. Keep practicing and it only gets better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky