Another Picnic vs Butt thread plus ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ecto1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 22, 2010
Spring, Tx
Ok I picked up about 8 picnic roasts @ $.65 the other day and am going to smoke one this weekend for my sons 5th birthday party. I was going to do one butt one picnic and mix the meat but there will only be about 10 adults and these are some monster picnics all close to 9 pounds a few over 10. I have about four butts under my belt and so far the results have been fabulous thanks to all the help here on the forum. When I cook this picnic I expect very simular results but I have a few questions....First do I need to trim the skin that is on one side of the picnic, will a picnic take longer to get to pulling tamp than a same sized butt, is there less fat in a picnic which would lead itself to being a drier piece of meat (not a big quastion because I will foil between 165-175), and finaly will there be a big flavor or texture difference in the pulled pork. I know some here do not like picnics and some like them better so I should get lots of advice on this.

I trimmed the skin off my picnic, but don't really know what the ideal is. I found there wasn't a big difference when I smoked them both the same way. I did them on separate weekends with very similar results, even with times and tenderness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky