Another Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shann

Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Central Vermont
Hi, I'm Shannon and I live in Vermont, where its still winter unfortunately.

I'm a total newbie at smoking.  I do cook a lot of steaks, burgers and chicken breasts on my charcoal and gas grills.  I've never cooked anything "low and slow" until this weekend.  I bought a cheap Brinkmann electric smoker.  It seemed like a painless and cheap way to get into smoking. 

I made ribs last weekend and they were okay, not great.  I'll be "practicing" probably a lot of weekends, because the electric smoker doesn't require a lot of effort.

I'm married and we have a son in college.  Our little english pointer Kona pretty much runs our life.  Most of the time I just cook for my wife and me, but I will have 5 or 6 people over for a cookout from time to time.   

I have found a lot of good information here and look forward to being a part of the community. 

Shann

welcome Shann! practice practice practice is what it is all about. that and researching the forums here at SM. 

Try some smoked hamburgers on that thing, I bet you won't ever grill a burger again.

Some  things that will make life easier for ya when it comes to smoking would be a good dual probe thermometer. It will let you keep an eye on your smoker temp and meat temp! Very handy.

Not very familiar with electric smokers but I bet the addition of the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER will really blow the flavor level of your smokes right off the charts.

If you ever have a question feel free to ask. Lots of smart cookies around here to help ya thru it.

Welcome to the SMF Family Shann. As you have already found out, there is a bunch of great information here and lots of friendly folks here to help you out when you have questions.

Enjoy the smoke.

Welcome to SMF Shann. This is one really great place, with a bunch of really friendly folks with a lot of knowledge & tips to help you become an experienced smoker in no time.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Also for those of you new to smoking,  Get a good Probe Thermometer as we smoke by Temperature NOT TIME.

A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732

Shann 
welcome1.gif
This is a great site.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Welcome Shann were glad your here and I look forward to your posts!. Look around at the forums and have fun experimenting.  Keep a notebook of your efforts. I like to take pics and put in it as well. Then you can duplicate and tweak your things to make them even better. Enjoy!

JJ

Shann welcome to SMF - please go into your profile and add a location so we can better help with your smokes. If you dont want to add a town just add a location like Southern CA

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky