Another Newbie mod question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jfulwider

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Mechanicsville, Virginia
What is the best way to seal a Silver smoker? I tried the hi -temp chaulk. It didn't work very well. Actually it made the gap bigger. Just wondering how others have sealed this thing up.
confused.gif

Don't need to seal it unless you live in the arctic circle. I have one too, just built a bigger fire and distribute the heat better with baffles and plates. I see alot of folks worrying about sealing up the doors, all the while 10 inches away is an exhaust stack. Smoke has got to get out, a lil out the door shouldn't be a big problem.
cool.gif

Does it need to be sealed? Seriously... unless you have more smoke/heat out of the gaps than the exhaust... or have temp troubles... don't bother

Thanks guys for saving me a lot of work. I had been thinking about sealing my SnP and doing the whole angle iron, fire rope, seal 'er up real good routine. On my last smoke, I took a closer look at the smoke escaping under the gaps and found that it was pretty even around the sides and front. Not rolling heavy, but just wisping out and definitely less than the stack. It wasn't coming out all the time either. Most of the time it was just coming out of the stack. And since I can't find fire rope around here this time of year and would have to mail order it (outside temps 100+ last weekend, not much demand for woodstove supplies locally) I can happily cross that mod off of my to-do list.
cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky