Another Newbie In Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blkgost

Original poster
May 9, 2006
Berkley, Michigan
Yet another lurker has chosen to join the smokingmeat fold. Of all the forums I've seen online, this one seems to be the most inviting and laid back (I mean we all take hobbies seriously but some ppl are zealots), not to mention awesome pictures. As far as my equipment, I'm using a a basic Char-Broil H20 electric smoker. Works pretty good I suppose, seeing no one I know smokes I have nothing to go on.

My first smokes met with interesting results. I did cornish hens which came out good, but later I figured out they were over smoked. Same thing with my beef roast I tried....it turned out like jerky. So I decided to read up on the proper processes involved seeing I jumped in headfirst and rushed things. Then I found this forum and my eyes were opened. Last nite I put on a 5lb pork butt, rubbed with the Magic Kingdom rub I found on here. For the smoke I used a 2:2:1 ratio of Hickory/ Oak/ and mestique wood. And at 10:40 this morning I pulled it off, when I was pulling it there was still some connective tissue left, but I think it was a good smoke. I topped it off with SoFlaQuer's finishing sauce (I added 3 teaspoons of Southern Comfort and 1 more tablespoon of dk brown sugar to the recipe).

I do have a question, whats the best way to shred the pork? I was standing forever pulling it apart.

Anyways happy to be here,

Mack

Mack, glad you took up my invite - thanks for your intro. We love it when a lurker has decided to join the family and we're glad you're here.

We've all rushed head first into a project only to find our end results were less than spectacular and wishing we had somewhere to turn to for answers. tulsajeff has done an outstanding job in making Smoking Meat Forums the best "go to" forum in the art of smoking meats and other foods. His Smoking Basics eCourse is a great primer to get a newbie headed in the right direction and a great confidence builder to get a some what experienced smoker to make the leap to the next level.

When you smoke a pork butt you're bound to come across some connective tissue-for pulling/shredding pork you want the internal temps to be at least 190 degrees. I say at least 190 'cause I know a guy that cooks his butts to 200. As for an easier way to pull pork a member posted a tip in the Pork Forum about using a KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook to pull/shred pork butts. I tried it and it works and it defiantly beats having burned fingers.

Howdy Mack, glad you've moved from lurker to member. If you don't have the kitchen aid mixer you can always get two big forks to pull apart the meat so you don't burn your fingers. Of course it takes longer but works in a pinch. If you have the stand mixer though go with that.

Hey Mack,
Bear paws are the answer. Bob-BQN is right on. First make sure the temp is at least 190* as Earl has stated and then use the bear paws. Problem solved. And don't forget to apply some of Fl. Jeff's finishing sauce to the pulled pork. (Use the search button on the bottom left.)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky