Another Labor Day, First pork shoulder success!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeybass

Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
San Clemente CA
Hey guys I'll make this short and sweet well, I'll try to at least. I have definitely learned to use SMF as a tool. I think it should be one of the most used favorite tools in any q'ers toolbox. SO anyway picked up a 14 pound shoulder from Costco sans bone. I ended up with two separate portions, one got rubbed in olive oil and a version of the BRITU (google it, its all over the web, used it on ribs and all kinds of other stuff and I love it personally) The other was frozen and is awaiting its turn.

ee9c498b_IMG00163-20100905-1642.jpg

So I wrapped this bad boy in some plastic wrap Sunday afternoon and went to a little get together. After staying out till midnight or so I overshot my start time by about an hour. So me and the sidekick were up and out of the house at 6 or so.
4a437795_IMG00166-20100906-0658.jpg

Ogre ensures that all of my projects are top shelf, keeps other pests away, and is always entertaining when I hit the inevitable plateau. Speaking of which about 4 hours in I hit it at about 165.

d74befc2_IMG00167-20100906-1151.jpg

It didn't stay for too long, but it was definitely the temp it decided to stall at. I used a Weber kettle with some home made low budget mods that, I must say, have been crankin out some good Q. Total Cook time was 10 hours flat. Misting every hour or so with rum and applejuice. I can't say that I really noticed it much. Maybe a butt without any spray would allow me to notice the difference??? Towards the end of the cook I whipped up a batch of slaw and some of SoFlaQuers's finishing sauce. We ended the day with

98073f1f_IMG00169-20100906-1827.jpg

and this

7f56007f_IMG00171-20100906-1839.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone who continues to post here on SMF. If it weren't for you guys I'd still be grillen hockey pucks on holidays for the the fam. Overall it was a relaxing and delicious experience, especially for a first timer.

-Evan

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky