Another fride smoker with some questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saumonfume

Original poster
Dec 11, 2018
Good day all First I want to appologise in advance if I do typo mistakes, english is not my first language.
Thank you for I all the good information and advises you put in this forum, it`s is very helpfull.

I started my fridge smoker project last week and I`m now at the point to cover the door and the door edges surrounds that were in plastic.

Q1:I red that galvanic steel is not recommended. Is Aluminium 2024 is ok or I should take no chances at all and only go SS.

Q2:Same questions for the patch I have to do to cover the old hole of the light bulb and for then 90 angles I want to add to hold the racks.

Q3: I want to use to electric stove top has heat source and smoke generator, do you recommand a minimum of holes and the dia as an air intake?

Q4: Minimum or maximum diameter for the exhaust?

Tank you in advance.

I had a Fridge Smoker once, it was great.
I used an electric hot plate as my heat source to smolder wood in a 1 gallon can (aka: #10 can)
The big difference was mine was an old Porcelain Steel refrigerator. And in those days I merely drilled some holes near the top in the side, and let the cord dangle out the door gasket.
Never messed with any of the plastic innards refrigerators.

Reactions: saumonfume
I can't answer all your questions but : Correct, do not ever use anything galvanized with anything related to cooking. Aluminum will be fine, just consider all the Al foil and foil pans we use smoking - plate Al will be just fine.

You can use high temp silicone to seal holes depending on how big or seal a Al plate over big holes with it.

Reactions: saumonfume
I had a Fridge Smoker once, it was great.
I used an electric hot plate as my heat source to smolder wood in a 1 gallon can (aka: #10 can)
The big difference was mine was an old Porcelain Steel refrigerator. And in those days I merely drilled some holes near the top in the side, and let the cord dangle out the door gasket.
Never messed with any of the plastic innards refrigerators.

Thank you for the reply. It`s an old steel refrigerator, only the the trim between the outer box and inner box were plastic and the cover inside the door, between the steel and the insulation that`s in plastic. Thank you for the answer for the hot plate

Reactions: justoldbobo
I can't answer all your questions but : Correct, do not ever use anything galvanized with anything related to cooking. Aluminum will be fine, just consider all the Al foil and foil pans we use smoking - plate Al will be just fine.

You can use high temp silicone to seal holes depending on how big or seal a Al plate over big holes with it.

Thank you for the advise. AL will be easier to find, and to work. Thank you again for the fast reply and advices

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky