Another First Brisket Smoke - 01/28/12 - Follow Along With Me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin13

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 8, 2007
Wentzville, MO
I've been smoking for a couple of years now and haven't done a brisket yet....so I figured it's about damn time. Back in December, I was at a local butcher buying a pork belly for bacon and asked if he had any brisket. He did, said it was "lightly" trimmed of fat and contained the point and flat. Perfect. So I walked away with a 6.5lb brisket. I debated even buying this, but I was there and it would be awhile before I made it back to Sam's, and I needed to do a brisket for once. Got home, threw it in the freezer.

Fast forward to this past week. I got the brisket completely thawed and unwrapped it. "Lightly" trimmed is being generous...there's not much fat on this thing at all. In addition, I'm not sure about the point. It looks like it's there, but I can't be sure. I assume it starts where the crescent moon shaped fat line is? Any help would be appreciated.

Anyways, enough whining, time to make the best of the situation. Rubbed it down with yellow mustard and gave it a heavy coating of The Slabs "Wow Your Cow" rub, wrapped up in saran wrap, and into the fridge overnight.

Woke up at 4:00AM this morning and got the MES preheated. At about 5:30AM, the brisket went it....along with a heaping shelf of the fattiest bacon I could find in the St. Louis area, to help baste the brisket due to the "lightly" trimming it received.

Oh...and I'll be basting with a spray bottle of this tasty mop:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/82119/barbecued-brisket-and-burnt-ends-recipe-by-paul-kirk

I'll smoke at 225* til I hit 165-170*, then I'll foil, throw it back in, and take to about 190* or so. Then I'll throw in a blanket wrapped cooler for a couple of hours. If there is a point on this thing, then I'll make burnt ends.

Thanks for following along.

Last edited:
About 3-1/2 hours in and internal is reading 142 degrees. Just gave it a spritz of mop and all is looking good.

Looks great so far, I like your bacon idea. I will be following closely as I haven't done a brisket on my MES yet either. Gotta go I think my AMNS jumped rows while making a couple of pastrami's and isn't smoking anymore. good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

icon_cool.gif

Now your brisket is looking good and like Gary said it will be tasty I bet.

190° might be a bit shy on the internal temp.  Every piece of brisket is different, but typically they pass the tenderness tests between 194° and 197° for slicing.  Use a 2 prong BBQ fork and slide it in the middle of the brisket against the grain.  When you pull it out it should come out with no resistance for the right tenderness.  Don't judge by when your pushing it in. 

Dont be worried about the fat being trimmed off the outside.  There was still plenty there from what the pictures show  We trim about every ounce off when we cook for competitions, and we dont have a problem with internal juice levels.  Be interested to hear how the bacon flavored the outside!

Kevin,

I am in Crestwood, I can bring corn on the cob, potato salad and of course adult beverages and test your brisket out for you.....

Looking good bud, going to do one tomorrow into monday, I bought a pid to use in my uds.

Let me know what time dinner is

Well a buddy called and needed my help, so I left when the brisket was at 188* and told the wife what to do. Once it got up to 196*, she pulled it out, wrapped in blankets and placed in a cooler. I got home about 45 minutes ago and it was still at 176*. So I fired the MES back up, sliced off the point and cubed it to make burnt ends and into the smoker it just went. I'll smoke for about 2 hours or so. It'll be a long night considering I got up at 4AM to start this and it's already 9:50PM CST.

Anyway, the 6.5 lb brisket took about 13-1/2 hours, not including rest time....more closer to the 2 hour per pound then 1-1/2 hours per pound. Sliced off a couple of pieces and it's pretty good. Would have liked to have been here when it hit 196* because I would have taken it out of the foil and put back on the rack to firm up the bark, as it's pretty sloppy due to the braising. I let it cool down alittle then I foiled and stuck in the fridge. I'll slice it tomorrow on the slicer and then reheat for dinner in a crock pot with some beef broth.

I post a final burnt ends pic when they are done.

Kevin,

I am in Crestwood, I can bring corn on the cob, potato salad and of course adult beverages and test your brisket out for you.....

Looking good bud, going to do one tomorrow into monday, I bought a pid to use in my uds.

Let me know what time dinner is

Sounds like a good offer bteem. Unfortunately, due to a friend needing my help, I'll be enjoying this tomorrow night, reheated...but it'll be just as good I'm sure.

Plan on 2 hours per pound...my 6.5 lb took about 13-1/2 hours. Good luck and be sure to post the Q-View.

Brisket was always 14 to 15 hours in my Ole MES as well.    Hope you have a great meal tomorrow!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky