Another Eye Round (Sous Vide Test #3)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Another Eye Round (Sous Vide Test #3)

OK, the first Eye Round I did was a 3 pound hunk of Eye Round that I did at 132° for 27 hours.
It was excellent & Fork Tender, but there was still room for experimentation, so I decided to try the same Temp (132°) but for only 24 hours.
That one was slightly better texture than the first one, so I decided to give it another try, this time going at 132° for 21 hours. And This one was the best of all.
I think I’ll stick with this Temp & Time, because It’s still Fork Tender & the Texture is Great.

So like the other 3 pound hunks, I seasoned with CBP, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder, Vacuum bagged & Double Sealed both ends.
I thawed this one out and put it in my Sous Vide Supreme, set it at 132°, and let it roll for 21 hours.
This one came out awesome, and even better than the first two, and Totally Fork Tender!!!
I cut some nice small steaks for Me & the Mrs.
Mrs Bear added some Green Beans & Mashed Taters.
Then after Supper, I cut up the rest of the roast into small pieces for Sammies for the next couple meals.
You can see what I did with the Leftovers below.

This Result, along with being able to reheat my Signature Prime Rib leftover slices without changing them in any way make the Sous Vide worth every Penny!!

Hope you all enjoy the Pics (Below),

NOTE: This was my Best Eye Round of All, so I removed my other Eye Rounds from my Step by Step Index. This is My Winner!

Bear

Fresh out of SV:
IMG_1621.jpg

All sliced up & just right inside:
IMG_1622.jpg

Bear's First Helping.
Green Beans, Mashed Taters, and Fork Tender Med-Rare Eye Round:

IMG_1624.jpg

Leftover Slices of Eye Round:
IMG_1626.jpg

Second Night Supper

Heated up slices:
IMG_1627.jpg

Start with Gravy, Bread, Sliced Beef & Gravy again:
IMG_1628.jpg

Then another slice of Bread, and some Fries:
IMG_1629.jpg

Finish with Gravy on the Sammy & the Fries:
IMG_1630.jpg

Third Night Supper

Heated slices of Eye Round on rolls with Horsey Sauce:
IMG_1631.jpg

Melt some Cheese on top & close them up:
IMG_1633.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious Bear! I've got a SV but would never think to use those time lines. I thought that once it reached the 132 temp, you could hold it there for a few hours until ready to serve. What do you think the roast would be like after 3 hours at 132? I've done a Tri Tip for 3 hrs at 130. It was tasty but I'm always looking to improve.

Mike

Is the long cook time for tenderness ? I bought 4 at 2.49 a pound . Want to try this .

Looks delicious Bear! I've got a SV but would never think to use those time lines. I thought that once it reached the 132 temp, you could hold it there for a few hours until ready to serve. What do you think the roast would be like after 3 hours at 132? I've done a Tri Tip for 3 hrs at 130. It was tasty but I'm always looking to improve.

Mike

Thank You Mike!!
An Eye Round at 132° for 3 hours would be very Tough, as would be a Chuck Roast done that same way.
If the cut is already Tender, like a Ribeye or a Fillet Mignon, an hour or 3 (depending on their thickness) is fine, but the tougher cuts need time to break down.
I don't know any other way to do a Chucky or an Eye Round so you can actually cut it with a Fork, and still have excellent texture.

On Tough Cuts:
Too Short = Tough.
Too Long = Bad texture or Mushy.
Just Right = See Pictures Above.

And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Nice Job Again. I like it and will defiantly give it a try.
Looks mighty tasty :)

Gary

Bear, no need to sear?

I didn't see the need for searing on this one, since it was only for Me & Mrs Bear, and I was slicing it all up for Sammies.
Searing is mostly to make it look nicer, and adds very little extra flavor on the surface. IMO

Bear

very nice .. really like the sammie with gravy and fries .. p:cool:int to you

Very nice SV cook Bear! All them meals look top notch... I really need to try this!

Thank You Justin!!
Eye Round is Great with SV, second only to Chuck Roast done similarly.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky