Another Epic Meal: Bison Steaks And Sausage Feast (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A couple friends that join us regularly for meals have asked for several years "what's next?", "where are we going from here?", "how are you going to top this?" Ie: each meal has gotten better and better. They are prompting me to take it to the next level....so I did :-) I decided that we ought to try Buffalo steaks. One of the friends said he'd pay for the meat since I usually do and would be doing all the work this time. Sounded good to me!! The decision was made to do Ribeyes. Ordered the meat last Monday, it got here Thursday, and we did dinner Saturday. As soon as I opened the box, I was blown away!! Incredible array of meat (I ordered a LOT more than just the steaks for our dinner) and the packaging was done in a way that bespeaks true professionalism. They took great care to ensure everything would be perfect upon arrival....and it was. Since this was intended to be a special meal, I decided to pull out all the stops. This was made easier since I didn't have to shell out the money for the steaks, and that was a pretty hefty chunk of cash :-) Disclaimer: a couple of the early pics in this post are a bit fuzzy. I just got the new phone and forgot to take the plastic cover off the camera lens. OOPS!! The pics are all thumbnails so you can click on them to enlarge.

Here are the steaks defrosting
012.jpg

Started with an appetizer plate with home made spicy Summer Sausage, Andouille, and 3 exotic cheeses that my wife got
013.jpg

Also had a veggie plate with spinach dip for appetizers
017.jpg

Portabella mushrooms with stems removed, cleaned out the inside, and lightly brushed olive oil on the outside.
006.jpg

Plate full of home made bacon lightly fried and chopped up
005.jpg

Fill mushrooms with bacon
007.jpg

Add shredded Parmesan cheese
008.jpg

Top with fresh parsley straight from our little garden
011.jpg

A couple links of my Habanero Cajun sausage defrosted and ready to go on the smoker
010.jpg

Bison steaks sprinkled with a little Cajun Blackening season on both sides. I wasn't trying to blacken the steaks, I just love the flavor
016.jpg

A nice salad to go along with dinner
014.jpg

Steamed a big batch of long grain wild rice then stirred in fresh chopped broccoli and cheddar cheese sauce. First time I've ever done this but it won't be the last. It was really, really good!! Everybody loved it.
018.jpg

'Shrooms on the grill over the middle burner, which is not lit. Right and left burners going so they will cook with indirect heat
020.jpg

Steaks after the flip
022.jpg

A platter full of Bison deliciousness!!
023.jpg

Sausages smoked, sliced, and ready to eat
025.jpg

Mushrooms done
026.jpg

Money shot!!
027.jpg

One a little closer to see the steaks better
028.jpg

My buddy Rick performing his mandatory outdoor concert after dinner. He has been playing guitar for a LONG time and is really good. Here he is doing "Radar Love" by The Golden Earring. We usually do the concerts pool-side but they were calling for heavy rain so we stayed on the patio. At this point, everybody is pretty much comatose anyway :-)
029.jpg

Somehow I've managed to put together a few nice meals in the past but this one takes the cake. It'll go down in the history books as the best to date. The steaks were absolutely amazing as was the service I received from the company I ordered them from. Quality was outstanding and the flavor was off the charts. It had a deeper, richer flavor than beef but not all all "gamey". I think I'd take this over beef any day, and I'm a beef lover of the highest degree. Add some good friends and great side dishes, you have a perfect setting. Overall a fantastic time with our best friends and the best food we've ever experienced....and to think I still have a bunch of Buffalo and Elk meat in the freezer....hee hee hee. We may be doing this again real soon :-) Note: Not sure where to post this one. It could be in the sausage forum but it's about more than just sausage. Doesn't really belong in the game meat forum because it's not wild game. It's all ranch raised and pasture fed just like beef. I'll leave this one to the moderators to figure out :-)

A bunch of happy campers in Lago,
Robert

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 70
"Awesome meal. You mentioned both buffalo and bison. The steaks were...?"

Buffalo and Bison are one in the same. Kinda like sheetrock and drywall....redundant and repetitive, and a few other similes I could come up with :-)

Clarifying,
Robert

I thought it was pretty much taken for granted the the OP's meat was American Bison aka American Buffalo, not European Bison 'Asian' Water Buffalo, 'African' Cape Buffalo or any others.

But AtomicSmoke is technically correct as the American Bison is indeed a bison, not a buffalo.
Though we use the names interchangeably for our big hairy prairie critter, buffalo is a misnomer.

Call it what you want - I call it delicious looking.

Point for sure.

Chris

"But AtomicSmoke is technically correct as the American Bison is indeed a bison, not a buffalo.
Though we use the names interchangeably for our big hairy prairie critter, buffalo is a misnomer."

If that's the case, I stand corrected and the steaks were American Bison. Now I need to research and find out for sure. If the info is correct, there is a lot of misinformation out there :-)

Robert

Ok...found this on the Wyoming Buffalo Meat Co. website and confirmed it via Wikipedia and Britannica:

"Not everyone knows the difference between buffalo and bison. Calling a bison a buffalo is inaccurate, but a common mistake. It’s so common, in fact, that we sometimes use the two interchangeably. But if you really want to know the difference between a buffalo and a bison, the American Bison is native to North and South America and Europe, while the other two buffalo species reside in Africa and Asia. Bison and buffalo share the same family, but there are over 38 types of buffalo and, unlike bison, many of them have been domesticated.

A few more fun facts; North American bison have a beard, while their Asian relatives don’t and American Bison can live in really cold places, like Wyoming!"

What's really interesting is that the company refutes the theory of American Bison being the same as Buffalo, they are selling American Bison on their website, but calling themselves the "Wyoming Buffalo Meat Co." Sort of an oxymoron in my opinion, but at least I learned something new today so my day is now complete :-)

Clarifying,
Robert

"But AtomicSmoke is technically correct as the American Bison is indeed a bison, not a buffalo.
Though we use the names interchangeably for our big hairy prairie critter, buffalo is a misnomer."

If that's the case, I stand corrected and the steaks were American Bison. Now I need to research and find out for sure. If the info is correct, there is a lot of misinformation out there :)

Robert
It wasnt my intention to play the smarta$$. I genuinely wanted to know where the steak came from.

Last edited:
atomicsmoke atomicsmoke
I didn't think you were trying to be a smart@$$.
Lots of places selling exotic meats, from Aardvark to Zebra, and everything in between, e.g.Guinea pigs.
Anyone ever wants some incredibly tasty meat, spend the money or hunt some Axis deer.... Wow!

Guinea pigs really, the same ones our kids keep in cages as pets. Wow who da thunk it.

Thanks but no thanks.

Chris

"It wasnt my intention to play the smarta$$. I genuinely wanted to know where the steak came from."

As much as I appreciate your commentary, I assure you that at no point did I think you were being a smarta$$. Truth be told, I thought I may have written the post to be confusing to some people. Turns out that there is a big difference between Bison and Buffalo so this was a good learning experience for me and felt that clarification was in order since I made the mistake.

Eating humble pie,
Robert

Looks fantastic! What a treat!

I hope bison becomes more common. I've made burgers out of ground bison, which were as good as or better than beef burgers. And I made a bison pot roast, which was as good as beef pot roast. The roast had the same meat texture as beef, maybe softer, and an interesting gelatinous fat, like jelly texture. I got these at my local grocery store. Now they've got bison steaks, but not the roasts. I'm going to have to try them soon!

Couldn't knowingly do it after my daughter raised flap and jack.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky