Another Chuck Roast In The Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azsmokermark

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2014
Glendale, AZ
I have 3 chuck roasts in the smoker, each about 3 1/2 pounds.  The rub is black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and rosemary. It went into the 250 degree smoker at 4:30 PM and is getting smoked with Hickory and Cherry.  Once will get sliced and one will get pulled and these two will be served to our out of town guests arriving Friday mid morning.  The other one will be our dish to share at the end of the season pool party on Saturday.  Got some large hamburger buns and hoagie buns for sandwiches.

Here is a picture of the roasts just after I put them in the smoker.

And here is my Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24

More pictures when they are done.

Reactions: nucleuscracker
I thought about doing a pulled roast this weekend.

Great minds think alike.

The last one I did was not pulling well so we sliced it.  My wife and I ate most of it the first night, a little nibble here, a little nibble there.  Before we knew it, it was almost gone.  The smoker is holding steady at 253 degrees and I can hear the juices sizzling in the drip pan below.  I think I will put some bacon strips on the roast when I wrap it in HD foil for the remainder of the cook.  Internal Temp is 126 after almost  hours. I'll wrap at IT of 165.

The neighbors are trying to figure out what I'm smoking.  The whole neighborhood smells wonderful.

I have found that chuckies have enough internal fat that I don't need to wrap.

But yes, if you feel it need to be wrapped do it.

I was just askin.

After 11 1/2 hours at 253 degrees they finally hit 205 IT.  I had to be careful taking them out of the smoker because they were literally falling apart. Very nice bark and the flavor is out of this world. It was 4:00 AM when it reached 205 IT.  I pulled them out and wrapped them in foil and put them in a cooler.  They have been there for about 2 hours now. I'm going to let them rest another hour before pulling them.  Oh, the thought about slicing one of them, forget it.  They will not slice, just fall apart.

Here's one that a chunk fell out of.  I had a taste of this one..

Considering your history with snacking on the beef you need someone to take care of it for you. Allow me to volunteer my services. You can trust me. Have I ever lied to you before?

Disco

David,  I pulled two and put them in a gallon ziplok bag and removed as much of the clots of fat as I could find.  I put the other one wrapped in foil in the refrigerator.  I may have to pull it, too, but I'd like to see if I can slice it cold first.  Either way, they are going to be great eats.  I chopped a little of the pulled and mixed them with my scrambled eggs for breakfast. OMG! 

Thanks everyone for your input and encouragement.  I've only been smoking 5 months, and having a ball.  My to do list consists of prime rib and full brisket, just to name a few.  I want to have more experience under my belt before spending that much money on meat. 

Considering your history with snacking on the beef you need someone to take care of it for you. Allow me to volunteer my services. You can trust me. Have I ever lied to you before?

Disco
My history of snacking on the beef is exactly why I went with 3 roast (learned from the first one) There was quite a bit of shrinkage and in hind sight, I probably should have done another 3 pounder.  It looks like the end of summer pool party tomorrow that I did the 3rd roast for will be cancelled due to rain all day.  If it is not moved to Sunday, we'll have that much more pulled beef to enjoy.

Those will make great sammies and Chili .
drool.gif

Thanks for the peek ,and . . .

AZSmokerMark,

I assume you ended up not foiling them until you rested them? Just curious because I think I might do one this weekend if time allows and don't know if I will foil or not (unless I do pepper stout beef). Thanks!

Shelton

AZSmokerMark,

I assume you ended up not foiling them until you rested them? Just curious because I think I might do one this weekend if time allows and don't know if I will foil or not (unless I do pepper stout beef). Thanks!

Shelton
I did not foil them until AFTER I took them out of the smoker.  I did plan to foil when IT reached 165, but a couple of folks here talked me out of it.  I'm glad I left the foil off until after it finished smoking.  The bark is amazing!  The flavor is amazing!  I can hardly wait for my guests to give it a try, with or without sauce.

I just took a arm roast out of the freezer,  hope it works like a chuck.

And turns out like your did.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky