Another Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Always fat side up. Fat taste good. This way the juices run down into the meat. More flavor. Fat is good.
icon_biggrin.gif

Chris -

It depends on whether or not you like fat. I am a flipper! I start with it up and end with it down. In between I flip it when ever I add chunks or spray.

I HATE fat!

I start mine fat side down for 2 1/2 hrs then fat side up for 2 1/2 hrs then foil for the rest of the cook.

I agree with fat side up! Helps keep the meat moist and adds flavor as it breaks down durning cooking!! I always mop or spray also..Good Luck and Enjoy!!

i always cook mine fat side down (i hate fat), and spray/mop every couple hours. with it fat side up, the fat just melts and runs down the sides. the conective tissue inside, and the internal fat, is what makes it juicy and tender.

I'm a fat side down guy. Always have been always will be. The fat running down in my meat is just kinda nasty to me.
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

I would say it depends on your smoker too, if your using charcoal id probly put the fat side down to protect the meat but in a GOSM smoker id leave the fat side up, with the smoke pot and water pan you wont get the collem of heat comming up from the burnner and moving the meat down to the bottem rack its more indirect heat then direct heat plus you get the steam from the water. so i leave the fat side up

Never could understand a meat eater that doesn't like fat !!!
I can understand trimming excess away, but it does help keep things moist and does add flavor.
You can ask my chef brother, Triple B and he will say fat side up.
...and we all know as Emeril says; "Pork fat rules"
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Eating meat that has had fat rendered thoughout is one thing bitting into a hunk of fat is just NOT accceptable for some of us and even typing it I am gagging!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Chrish -

I don't see any difference between cooking on my ECB or cooking on my Smoke Vault when it come to fat up or fat down.

Paul -

Are you talking about a hunk of fat? Gosh I hope not! I hear Rotor Router has a new micro miniature version designed for the human artery - but there's a long line!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hay Deb, Grilled fat is good, throw the meat away and cook whats left
icon_smile.gif

what i meant was the difference in a virt to horz smoker the closer the meat is to the heat sorce the fat can protect the meat from burning or drying out, since i dont have all the types of smokers i dont know exactly where a piece of meat should be put fat side down.
Youve got a ECB? throw it away
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
you know those things melt at 300 deg
icon_smile.gif
unless you like those cute guys on the fire dept showing up on your door step
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif
I'm kidding deb

The piece I'm talking about is internal not the fat cap ... it varies in size, but generally about the size of an oyster. I have it circled here:

Sorry about size ... just click to make it a little bigger

That reminds me of my favorite piece of chicken that we call oysters here, the two oval bits on the back ... heaven!

Yepper, what he said. If your smoker has it's heat source coming from the bottom, then fat side down to protect it from drying out. If It's an offset.... the debate will rage on.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
And most opinions all have some merit.

Paul -

I'll have to look next time I make a ham. I just automatically remove the white stuff! LOL

Chrish -
I LOVE my ECB! I guess you just have tp learn how to control the heat. The only time I had a problem was when I didn't have the water pan in. There great little smokers!
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

I really hate fat, although I will eat it if it really crispy and hard like bacon or ham ...

b4647bcb_vbattach12600.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky