Another Brisket idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
I picked up a Prime Brisket from Costco and am planning on inviting the family over for brisket dinner. Last time I did this I got up a 3:00AM and got the fire started, prepped the brisket to ensure that it was done for that evening 5 – 6ish.

Like many of you have said on here, by the time the brisket is done and folks are over your just looking for a nap or maybe it’s me being old and fat LOL

So, I’ve been reading on here about cooking it the day before and keeping it warm in a 150-degree oven until it’s ready to serve. My wife sent me a link to this guy’s site. He recommends cooking it to 165 internal the day before, wrap and then cook it again wrapped the next day until it's 200 or so. Since the day 2 cook is wrapped, I’m not sure you couldn’t do it in the oven. Here’s the link: https://barbecuebible.com/2021/09/2...-one-day-without-rising-at-the-crack-of-dawn/

Anyone tried this approach? Good, bad or indifferent?

Thank as always,

I Stopped the overnight/early morning cooks when I started doing my briskets at about 275. Start at 0600, eat 12 hour later. Not sure about keeping it at 150 for a day tho...sounds questionable. if you are gonna cook it hte day before, why not just just reheat it the next day.

Reactions: tallbm and jcam222
This is what I have been experimenting with. After a good rest, I can refrigerate overnight and either reheat in my oven at around 200 for about an hour then hold in my warming drawer at 140-150. I realize most people don't have a warming drawer. I have also lowered the down to 160 and that works well. Keeps rendering a bit of fat and is still very good.

You need to keep in a steam environment or it will dry out.
One of my favorite BBQ joints has a steam cabinet and I know they keep cooked briskets in there at least overnight, their brisket is tender and juicy.

You need to keep in a steam environment or it will dry out.
One of my favorite BBQ joints has a steam cabinet and I know they keep cooked briskets in there at least overnight, their brisket is tender and juicy.
How do you go about that if you don't have a steam cabinet? Sounds pricey.

(Maybe it isn't)

Like many, the 3am marathon days are over. I smoke at 275º and get very good results. Prep the night before. Get up at 5:45a, fire up the smoker and the brisket is in by 6a. Next step, COFFEE! 🤣 Usually it's tender by 4p and I rest it until dinner. Full disclosure: I do wrap with butcher paper after it's been in the stall for a while, usually around 170º.

The last one I cooked was about 10 pounds after trimming, I did it at 275 and it was perfect after about 9 hours and a two hour cooler rest.

I Stopped the overnight/early morning cooks when I started doing my briskets at about 275. Start at 0600, eat 12 hour later. Not sure about keeping it at 150 for a day tho...sounds questionable. if you are gonna cook it hte day before, why not just just reheat it the next day.
I’m with you on this. 275F while unwrapped and after I wrap I’ll even coast to 300F. Some of the best ones I’ve done and the time is drastically cut.

I picked up a Prime Brisket from Costco and am planning on inviting the family over for brisket dinner. Last time I did this I got up a 3:00AM and got the fire started, prepped the brisket to ensure that it was done for that evening 5 – 6ish.

Like many of you have said on here, by the time the brisket is done and folks are over your just looking for a nap or maybe it’s me being old and fat LOL

So, I’ve been reading on here about cooking it the day before and keeping it warm in a 150-degree oven until it’s ready to serve. My wife sent me a link to this guy’s site. He recommends cooking it to 165 internal the day before, wrap and then cook it again wrapped the next day until it's 200 or so. Since the day 2 cook is wrapped, I’m not sure you couldn’t do it in the oven. Here’s the link: https://barbecuebible.com/2021/09/2...-one-day-without-rising-at-the-crack-of-dawn/

Anyone tried this approach? Good, bad or indifferent?

Thank as always,
I don't like that guy's approach at all. Living in TX (brisket country) and having done a ton of briskets I would suggest you cook it all the way until it is done the day before then simply tightly wrap in 2 layers of oil and refrigerate it.

Next day put in the oven and reaheat to an IT of 170 which may take a while but u don't have to worry about it being cooked just reheated.

I'm also a 275F birsket smoker guy. I roll mine naked the whole way.

So again, I recommend you just cook completely a day or 2 before and then regrigerate and reheat in the oven with PLENTY of time the day you need to eat. Taking a 14 pound brisket from fridge temp to 170F IT will still take a few hours at like 274-300F in the oven :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky