another batch of snack stix today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

minn.bill

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 13, 2007
minnesota
mixed up a batch of venison and pork, 8 pnds ven to 4 pnds pork yesterday mixed with a premaid seasoning from gander mnt. stuffed theminto 21 mm casings and let them cure overnight .put them in the smokerthis morn for an hr at 130 without wood and then added hickory for about 3 hrs.was keeping the heat low on purpouseto try something new i read about.poaching in water.sounded weird but i wanted to try it and it seamed to work good the sticks stayed nice and firm no wrinkles and nice eaven cosistency internal temps.i used my electric turkey fryer filled with water and set to a temp of 180 only took about 15 min to bring sticks from an internal temp of 130 to a finished tem of 160. sliced and packaged ended up with 92 ,6'' sticks.
32e47fd0_vbattach17345.jpg

a1eb78e1_vbattach17343.jpg

f9191672_vbattach17344.jpg

f5fc7571_vbattach17342.jpg

1846678c_vbattach17341.jpg

bill

good job those look great how did you keep the temp down so low in the gosm did you modify it mine only goes to 150 i think i will replace the needle valve and see how that works

i've never had a problem with keeping low temps.i have ,however had problems getting my wood to smoke at those low temps .ive had to lower the chip pan right down on the fire and even had to start the chips with a torch but once you get them smoldering no problems. and also my smoker is a smoke vault i think thier very simular to a gosm but not sure exactly.bill
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

look great bill, never thought of poaching to finish off to temp. those dont last long do they

Great looking stix! How did you tie off your ends? I can't tell if you knotted the casing directly, or tied them with twine. That is the problem I have (timewise) with stix, tying and linking. Good work.

i dont really bother tying them off with anything,i just give the casings a few twists some of them stay closed some dont , i dont really care cause i cut the ends off when im sizeing them for packaging . the end bits and pieces are my little treats for the next few days.
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

It has just occurred to me that I scored an old stainless steel salad bar trough (for lack of a better description) several years ago. I stashed it in one of our grain bins ,a.k.a. ranch storage units. I'm gonna have to dig it out, post some pics and see if we can't figure out a way to make a stuffing table out of it.
tongue.gif

thats the best mule-sweet set up there-I was wishing I had somthing like that when I did my 30#s-was kinda a pain-and clean more than I was grinding and stuffing.

Looks great. We are getting a Gander Mnt here that is suppose to open in April, I can not wait to see the outdoor cooking section. We just got a sportsman warehouse in Nov, and thier outdoor cooking section is pretty nice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky