• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Another batch of Hamsticks

stayhot

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 12, 2011
I made another 5 # batch of ham sticks this weekend using sheep casings and a slightly different recipe than last time.......resting for now but will be sampled soon.

5 #'s of freshly ground pork

Seasoning and cure all mixed up

Sheep casing's all rinsed and ready to go

Hanging out drying a bit, while the smoker heats up...

After spending time inside the smoker filled with apple wood....

stayhot

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 12, 2011
I used Woodcutters original recipe to start with but I tweaked it to my/my kids taste, I do not use the basil.  The only way to make these are with sheep casings, I have made them with collagen to but there is no comparison.

1 LB Pork

1/4 tsp cure #1

1 TBS Brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1/2 TBS garlic powder

1/2  TBS onion powder

1/2 tsp basil

1/2 tsp honey

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Those look great. Sigh, another thing to try.

Disco

rtbbq2

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 2, 2012
Recipe looks interesting...Where did the name ham sticks come from? I am guessing the original recipe used ham...

stayhot

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 12, 2011
The taste and texture is similar to a ham, not exactly but real close. There's a meat shop nearby that sells these that I used to buy from but for what they charge for a pound I can make these the same if not better for 7 pounds worth and I know EXACTLY WHAT I PUT IN.  I will post cut shots tonight after I get home.

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 2, 2012

The taste and texture is similar to a ham, not exactly but real close. There's a meat shop nearby that sells these that I used to buy from but for what they charge for a pound I can make these the same if not better for 7 pounds worth and I know EXACTLY WHAT I PUT IN.  I will post cut shots tonight after I get home.
Nice job! That recipe is still a work in progress. I don't know if you ever tried the ham sticks from Maplewood Meats or Nueskes but they are very good. I've been making pork butts into hams this summer in Pop's brine and keep thinking maybe I should grind one and stuff it and see what happens. It would have the nice pork butt fat content and the ham seasoning and cure #1.

stayhot

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 12, 2011
Cut shot, I have to say that these are the best tasting ham sticks I have made to date. Nice snap, sweet apple wood smoke taste!! I'm guessing these won't last long so there won't be a need to freeze.

fished

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 3, 2012
Those look realy good.  I made some sticks from a kit.  They were good, but not what I was looking for.  I think I need to try these.  How long and at what temperature did you smoke?

stayhot

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 12, 2011
110 for 1- hour, 135 for 5 hours then increase by 10degrees every hour until IT is 152. Do not exceed 180 internal smoker temp. I NEVER use kits and I never will, everyone I have tried either is tasteless or way too salty. Start with a good base then experiment from there with what you like or don't like the taste of.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Excellent, Stayhot !!!

I could put a serious hurt on a bunch of them right now!!!

Bear

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013

Nice job! That recipe is still a work in progress. I don't know if you ever tried the ham sticks from Maplewood Meats or Nueskes but they are very good. I've been making pork butts into hams this summer in Pop's brine and keep thinking maybe I should grind one and stuff it and see what happens. It would have the nice pork butt fat content and the ham seasoning and cure #1.
You could call 'em andouille sticks!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.