Another attempt at Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old poi dog

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 26, 2007
Maui, Hi.
Aloha All

I thought I’d duplicate the Bacon I did several weeks ago.  I started with 5 lbs of pork belly like last time.  I divided them up into 4 pieces.  All 4 pieces got Rytek’s basic rub. After spending 10 days in the refrigerator curing I finally rinsed them off and on the two of the smaller pieces I took Bearcarver’s suggestion to  apply a rub of onion powder, garlic powder and coarse ground pepper.

Then into the smoker they all went.

7c8393dc_P8070153.jpg

The smoker’s temp was at 125 degrees all day (8 hours).  Thanks   Pineywood and Beacarver for confirming what I thought would be a safe temp to smoke the Bacon at.

7cd2a274_P8070154.jpg

Here they are getting ready to go into the refrigerator to firm up for slicing.  I'm looking forward to a BLT tomorrow..especially  one made with the Bacon  with the garlic /onion powder and CGP rub.

f0b6466c_P8070158.jpg

Wow OPD - that is some great looking bacon Congrats man

It looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Great looking Bacon OPD !
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

We had BLTs tonight, BLTs last night, and BLTs about 4 times a week lately.

Remember the old saying, "You gotta make hay while the sun shines"?

Well here's a new one, "You gotta eat BLTs while the home grown tomatoes are in season!"----Because winter tomatoes shipped in from CA are lousy----picked green & gassed they tell me.

Bear

icon_cool.gif

BLT's BLT's BLT's BLT's BLT's

Need I say more..........

That's siome great looking bacon there Poi.

Thanks for the kind words all.  I tried some of the bacon that i rubbed garlic powder/ onion powder and coarse ground pepper....I like it !! 

I gave away one of the slabs of bacon to a good friend who has been kind enough to supply me with Macadamia nut logs for my smokes.  I kept one for myself. 

I think for the next Bacon, I am going to use the  recipe that Bearcarver has posted on his signature line.  Bear uses TQ as his curing agent and I am curious as to how the TQ and Instacure #1 differ in the flavor they impart on  Bacon. 
smile.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky