another 1st brisket w QV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rsands

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Well tomorrow's my little sisters birthday, figured it was a good excuse to smoke a brisket. Hopefully its a good move, and the family doesn't suffer too bad! Plan is to take her to 165-170 & foil then to 200 or so.

The brisket. Decided to do a flat as the market had a nice one at 7.5 lbs, figured it'd be more than enough for the six of us, especially considering all the other food being prepared. Started by trimming the major fat off, and cut the thin end and one thin section off. Not sure this was right, but made sense that they'd get too done, and I'm sorta hoping I can try to make some kinda sudo burnt ends from em and/or make dinner out of them.

Here's the trimmed off parts.

Main body trimmed, fat cap was very consistent didn't have to do much there.

Rubbed with Jeff's, and a heavy dose of garlic & CBP. You can see where the trimmed sections came from.

Put em in the GOSM fat side down, running 210-230 with the wind, but she'll get nothing but TBS!

After an hour and a half or so. Wind has died a little, holding 230 nicely. Figured let the fat cap warm up them flip em.

Flipped right after that pic. I left the trimmed part on the top rack fat side down, figure it can drip on the bigger piece and help it.

One thing I've noticed is the spices seem dry. Normal, or should I be spritzing? Haven't even bothered to check temp yet. When flipping I'd guess internal is still really low, outside was maybe 140 (uncomfortable, but flipped by hand). Thanks for any comments & lookin, I'll check back from time to time and give a status update!

That looks really good... what time did you start? I spritzed my with apple juice/EVOO about every hour or so. Didn't flip mine either.

MoFo

Thanks Mofo!
biggrin.gif
Went on about 4:15pm, last pic was taken about 6.

Thanks guys! Have no clue! Guessing it's gonna be a long night!

You've got a great start, keep us posted.

Billbo, I might be postin final when ya get up in the AM! Thanks dacfan!

Here's what things look like after 4 hours, top one is at 160. Still ain't poked the larger section with a thermometer. That little guy in the front there looked like he'd had enough, had to put him out of his misery.
biggrin.gif
Been using lots of apple, along with maple & hickory. The little piece tasted great.

Thanks Richoso! At about 5 hours I wasn't sure if i should flip it back over & start spritzing, or just let it go fat cap up till it was time to foil. Figured a couple minutes off the smoker wouldn't hurt it, so I brought it in under some good light to see how it's doing. Was surprised how dark the bottom looked in spots, but I think that's a good thing? The fat is running off the top and soaking in to the rub well. (is that what bark is?) Decided not to mess with spritz yet, flipped it back over (fat side still up) & took it's temp, 145°!! Put it back in, added another quart to the water pan, put a drip pan under it, added a couple chunks of hickory and small pieces of coal to the tray and closed her back up. I'm guessing I haven't hit the half way point yet? Gonna be a long night!

Had a little incident, tank ran dry & temps dropped down to 140ish before I caught it. Smoke pan was still hot/smoking so don't thing it effected things too much but I lost some time. Its now 2:00am, and she's almost to 170 and in foil. more pics!

Smoked nuts for the guys at work. $5 at Krogers since after x-mas. A few hours of smoke, let em cool then back in the bag. I keep leaving them in longer and longer, everyone likes the smoke flavor & seems more is better. These went about 7 hours in the 225 neighborhood, taste awesome!

The cut off was cooked for almost 8 hours, wanted it really dark/smoky.

Cubed in to 1" x 1" pieces and basted with Stubbs spicey (I like this sauce a lot!). Threw some more wood in the smoker, and back in it went.

And here's the brisket. Fat side down in 3 layers of foil. Not sure if most people fully wrap them? Don't want the top too soft, guessing a little texture and flavor intensity is a good thing. Sorta guessin on these parts, appreciate any feedback.

Only had 4 beers in the fridge, that's gone, sippin on Jack, got an action movie to watch. I'll hang tough for a while, sun starts risen before she's done though, she may burn!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Intermission! Burnt ends anyone? Really don't know what they're suppose to look like, just guessin. Sprayed em with mop one last time, put a little bit of fresh stubbs on and they tasted great.

And finally 14 1/2 hours later, 200. Brisket is resting in the cooler, got the alarm set for 2 hours, then I'll get up and pull it.

Nice Qview! I can almost smell the smoke...

The burnt ends look great! I also prefer them a little spicy, though I am not sure I have tried that brand of sauce. Good idea to add the extra wood on them!

Enjoy the feast!

Slept through the 1st hour of the alarm, and felt a little like a bear comin out of hibernation getting up, but it's worth it. Brisket was a little on the dry side on one end but the other was still very moist. The flavor, omg! Gonna be doin another one of these very soon. Made a little finishing sauce from the drippings, some apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar & a little bit of jack, and gonna stop and get some more stubbs on the way. Here's final Q:

Looks fabulous! I had the same issue with mine... being somewhat dry on the flat side but the point coming out in pretty good shape. Not sure what causes that... to hot or to long prior to foiling or what.

Anyway, your's looks super. I sliced mine.

MoFo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky