Annual Chicken BBQ Pics

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by fireguy, Jun 19, 2008.

1. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

Thought some of ya might be interested in some pics from our Annual Chicken BBQ back home, that is held on Fathers Day. My Uncle started this 43 yrs ago and now it is a major fundraisor for the village. The pit is 4ft x 60 ft.... it is stacked about 6 ft high with hedge and lit off around 3 am..... by noon we have a nice bed of coals about 2 ft under our chix. the pit can hold about 300 chix at one time... "Roll'em" bout every minute.. when they get to the end of the pit, we mop em w/ bbq-beer sauce and serve... Cooked about 1100 halves... and due to many more drinks than originall planned [​IMG] , I didnt get the finished poduct on camera[​IMG] .... but it is a great time... lots to eat and Drink... and a whole community comes together to help every year.

2. seboke

seboke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What an awesome way to spend the day! [​IMG] Heck of a BQ Grill!

3. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

looks like one heck of a good time. I hope you get a good price on them birds!
    Awesome pit, and wonderful pics, thanks Fireguy!

4. vlap

vlap Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have to get a grill like that in my backyard!!!

5. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

That is very cool sounds like a great time and some good grub

6. vince

vince StickBurners SMF Premier Member

Thanks for sharing the pictures, looks like a fun fathers day!

7. vlap

Whats in the pot hanging on the tripod?

8. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

Beans, beans.... the magicla fruit!!!

9. vlap

Good Stuff!!!

10. bwsmith_2000

bwsmith_2000 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good pictures Fireguy! Looks like a really outstanding event for the community. I'd like to see more of those throughout our great country. It just brings a lot of people together to renew old friendships. Our community used to do that with an oyster steam/roast. But somewhere along the line it ceased to function. Hope you all keep it going in the future.

11. crockadale

crockadale Smoking Fanatic

Thats puting out some yard birds. nice job fireGuy, to bad more communities dont do events like that.

12. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

I hope ours never dies... in the past its been abunch of the older guys only other than a few of us... but in the last couple years a few young guys show up and are eager to help out. so hopefully we can keep it going for anothe 43 years. thanks

13. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Cool. I love seeing the pics of the big cooks.

14. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks awesome Fireguy! That should feed a crowd!
    Reminds me of the old timers here that dig long trenches to cook meat. Fun!

15. abelman

abelman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow, that's a heck of a BBQ!! [​IMG] Bet it tasted great!!

16. bbqgoddess

bbqgoddess Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

ditto that
    now we know what the real reason is when peeps don't get the Q-vue done [​IMG]

17. That's wonderful. Being around NYC we really don't have anything like that, some community spirit but not like that. Enjoy it!

18. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

Oh Crap... I didnt mean to let the cat out of the bag for those of us who occasionally cook under the influence... sorry brothers and sisters. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. cbucher

cbucher Meat Mopper

man that looks great. you never have stuff like that around dallas

20. Awesome, gotta love the good feeling of a community joining together like that.