Andouille: 5 Pounds with photos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
Here's my first go at this type of sausage.

Spices line up:

147c2cf6_Spices_andouille.jpg

This recipe called for an ingredient pre-mix before the grind. It also specified for half the pork to be cut into 1/4" cubes & the balance to be coarse-ground. Heres the load mixed with the spices:

06b84ee2_Andouille_chunks.jpg

Stuffed in 32mm pork casings:

99028609_Andouille_stuffed.jpg

Air-dry while I get the smoker ready:

2a9f84b8_Andouille_hangdry.jpg

Still using the weber WSM, I suspended the links from the top grate over a water pan & kept the temp at around 135-140° for the first hour or so. I used pecan wood for the smoke. One hour in:

68b209cd_Andouille_inSmoker.jpg

I kept them smoking for about 3.5-4 hours until in IT reached 154°. I then plunged them into an ice bath & hung 'em to dry/bloom for about an hour:

c45fa54e_Andouille_bloom.jpg

Final shot:

4ef8b04e_Andouille_sliced.jpg

Tasty sausage with a nice kick! This is one recipe I'll keep.

I see gumbo in my future....
sausage.gif

Kevin

Looks great!!

Is that the Nola recipe???  Looks like it.

Craig

How much cure did you use?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Great looking Chorizo. I made some yesterday but we just packed into baggies. We go thru it pretty fast.

Quote:

1 level teaspoon of cure per 5lbs.

—Kevin
Ok Just wondered. From the look of that pic it seemed like alot but without knowing how big the bowl was I figured i better ask.

Kevin, you gotta stop this chit.  Between you and nepas, I am gaining weight just looking at the pictures!

Good luck and good smoking.

Incredible! Those are my favorite. How did you manage to keep the WSM at these temps?
1. it was a cool weekend so ambient temps didnt drive up the heat in the wsm

2. found the right amount of charcoal & hardwood chips that would keep temps hovering around 135-40° (which turned about to be about a handful of briquettes & 2-3 small wood chips.
3. heat shield: use a pizza stone when I did the kielbasa in the WSM; for these, I filled the water pan. Both helped keep the indirect & minimized big fluctuations

4. Constant monitoring. Pain in the butt, but ya cant take your eyes off it for too long.

That's why I look forward to using the MES. Easier & practically set it & forget it. 

Now we just gotta figger out of Cougar and nepas are the same person?  Or is the Bear man yanking our chain?  I have and idea, but I'm not tellin.

Now we just gotta figger out of Cougar and nepas are the same person?  Or is the Bear man yanking our chain?  I have and idea, but I'm not tellin.

Yanking your chain???

OK, here are the facts, as I see them:

There are 3 NEPAS. One of them, the one we know, does all of the posting, taste testing, and beer drinking. The other two are immigrants working for their meals, since they closed down old #2 coal mine, on the back slope of the Mahoning Valley. Those two do all of the manual labor.

Couger is a figment of our imaginations, and that bucket mixer is a top secret Area 51 project, because it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the Web, and nobody is talking.

Bear

You nailed it. Thats the best sausage there is IMO and the only one to use in Gumbo. We had a Gumbo dinner after church service on Sunday and I can truely tell you just because you live in Louisiana that does not mean that you can make Gumbo. Several church members made and brought the gumbo including myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky