And we're off…

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawkeyeinne

Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Today is the big day to start off on our new 40" MES.  My husband got the MES for Christmas and we have been reading nonstop for info (and relying on some friends with some experience).  We just put two slabs of baby back ribs in the smoker at 250 using a mixture of half and half Jack Daniels oak chips and hickory chips.  We put the chips in wet and had a lot of the dreaded white billowing smoke.  After that calmed down, we put in the ribs.  We are guestimating five hours and plan to use the 2-2-1 method.  I didn't have time to make a rub myself so after coating in spicy brown mustard, we are using Bone Suckin' Sauce seasoning (from Bass Pro Shop).

We are also planning to put in a whole chicken and chicken wings in a bit.  We are guestimating closer to three hours on those.  I rubbed them in Famous Dave's Country Roast Chicken seasoning.

We sorta guessed about where to position all this.  Right now the ribs are on the top two racks bone side down and we will put the whole chicken and wings on the bottom two racks.  My hubby didn't think it would be good to have the chicken dripping on the ribs so that's how we decided.  I'm thinking at some point I will turn the chicken over.

We're still a little uncertain on when to add more chips but was thinking we would recheck after an hour.  

I cannot wait to try salmon but we need to get used to this thing first.

Wish us luck!

Steve and Janis

p.s.  Was the MES supposed to come with some sort of a remote?  Ours didn't.

Last edited:
ROTF.gif
  Not a little keen are we??  Hello Steve and Janis and Welcome to our addiction.  A word of warning: There is no 12 step program for this one!  It is also my understanding that you are not allowed to smoke the neighbour's cat.  
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
  GOOD CALL on the chicken!  NEVER  chicken on top.  Always chicken on the bottom rack.  Much of this is common sense.  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Steve and Janis, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. All that reading seems to have given you a good basic working knowledge. Just be careful on the 2 2 1 for babybacks....especially at 250. Keep an eye on them as they may find their way to the finish line before 5 hours. Especially asthe masterbuilt controllers can many times show a lower temp than the cook chamber actually is. And yes it should have come with a remote if its a new gen2 with the controller in the front and center. Best of luck to you.

PS. Some of us disagree on the etiquette for smoking the neighbor's cat.

Don't let Gee fool ya.  He has cat recipes running out his ears.  There are no stray cats in his neighbourhood.             
th_HaHAAHaa.gif
duel.gif

Please excuse us Steve and Janis.  We mean no disrespect.  We poke fun now and then.  When we give advice we are well aware that it is VERY important to the person asking.  I think the site should provide useful information and by all means SAFE cooking techniques but it should be a little bit of fun also.  geerock has given good advice.  He knows his stuff.  Good luck with the first smoke.

Danny

Thanks for the welcome (and a little bit of fun).  I've never been a cat fan myself…as a pet or otherwise.  :o)

Welcome Steve and Janis!  Congrats on that new MES!  So how did the ribs and chicken turn out?  Remember, we love to see your qview (pics of your cooks, your food, your gear, etc.)

Have fun, and Happy Smoking!

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thanks for all the welcomes. The ribs were really great. We were using the 2-2-1 method and they definitely were done early. Thanks much to geerock for the heads up! The chicken took forever. We learned quickly that if the timer is not set, it doesn't heat. Oops! It finished fine in the oven and made for a great flavor in the chicken salad I made. The wings were yummy too but dry. I think I overcooked em. Tomorrow it's pork shoulder day!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky