And they call this Barbequed Ribs...rediculous!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The sad thing is Millions of people actually eat there ribs this way! The Great thing is They Do! If they smoked them they would be using up all my wood ;-)   (LOL)

Before I had a smoker I used the slow cooker as well as I was never happy with the results off the grill and tying up my grill for long smokes was never really an option.  The slow cooker turned out some tasty ribs. 

However, now that I have the tools.... well let's just say there is no going back to the slow cooker.   The slow cooker did do me some good.  It taught me to appreciate good BBQ as well as how to layer flavors that work well together.

cb301725_DoubleFacePalm1.jpg

To be fair, though, I'd prolly try it if I didn't have a smoker.  Some of the best pork chops I've ever made came out of the slow cooker, and I'll make them again even though I have a smoker.  Here's the recipe if anyone is interested.  They're crazy tender and juicy:

Crock Pot Pork Chops and Gravy

1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
6 (1 inch thick) lean pork chops
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed chicken broth
2 Tbsp oil

Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish; dredge pork chops in flour mixture and set aside. Combine remaining flour mixture and chicken broth in crockpot.

Pour oil in a large skillet; place over medium high heat until hot. Cook chops in hot oil until browned on both sides. Place in slow cooker. Cook on high 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until chops are tender. Serve with hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes.

I understand the need to cook meals in a hurry. Actually I USED to have to do that. So, I get the need for folks to cook things that all of us fortunate (smokers!) can have. BUT! Please, do not confuse BBQ with crock pot ribs. There is no comparison. Even back in the day when I was married, worked a full time job, had two kids I STILL managed to smoke a butt on the weekends for my family. It does take time and management, but it is do-able. Just ask my kids!

I used my dutch ovens for years to do my ribs, before I knew better.  They always turned out moist and tender but they were a whole different flavor, texture, look.  They have their own place. They were not even in the same category as my smoked ribs. Its almost like trying to compare chicken to turkey.  They each have their own place but if you want to really floor your guests then you will want to smoke them.  I get many more compliments on my smoked ribs. 

That Foodnet reciped should be called "Braised Spareribs in BBQ Sauce" for what it is.  I've always grilled or smoked ribs since that's what I learned from my dad.  I've eaten ribs from a slow cooker cooked by others... and they were tasty, but not a fan of fall-of-the bone ribs.

There are a few great uses for a crock pot....I have ham and soup beans going today.  Except that I had "leftover" heat from some ribs done on my charcoal smoker last weekend so I threw the ham on for a while (to 170) and added some real smoke  to the ham.  Love finding ways and/or things to try on the smoker. 

My wife has a subsricption to their magazine & awhile back they had "perfect pulled pork" on the cover so of course I immediatley went to that. The Neely's (owners of Interstate Barbque) were at home with his chargriller. He filled the firebox with coal, sprayed it with lighter fluid & lit it. I was shocked!! I thought they were suppose to be one of the best out there??? I always wonder how people like them & Steve Raichen, who to the best of my knowledge have never entered ANY competition are good?? If they have I've never meet anyone that has seen them at a real competition??

A lot of the cooks, I don't dare call them chefs, are there because of their personality and presence on camera. The people that were the real chefs probably had no personality when they tried out on the Food Network so their commercial value is much lower. Therefore you won't see them. You only get to see the bubbly people with good teeth and nice hair.

cool.gif

Now the Food Network and the Neely's know as much about good BBQ as and Man in The Moon. Well he's watched me smoke quite a few times.

I have a confession,

.... I USED TO BOIL MY RIBS!!

There I said it, I feel much better now.

But seriously, I used to do them on the grill after par boiling then grill them 5 minutes each side flipping back and forth for about an hour or so, saucing up after the last flips.

Then they were sliced and placed in a steamer pan  4 to 6 hours before serving.

They were pretty damn good, but still don't compare to this.

417c932b_riii.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky