AMS clean up ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tyotrain

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Upstate new york
Ok i got my AMS last week and i love it.. But i got excited and was not thinking straight well dripping of the food got in to the AMS and its a mess i have heated it up brushed  it i  just can't get it clean like i would like... My ? is would it hurt anything if i lightly went over it with my sand blaster to clean it up....
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

Last edited:
I just scrape it out every time, and about every 6 uses, spray some grease remover on it and wash it off with hot water.  Gotta burn the chemicals off it before the next use.

I ordered one of those $100 steam cleaners and will report if it actually works on both the smoker and the AMNS.

TJ

I just scrape it out every time, and about every 6 uses, spray some grease remover on it and wash it off with hot water.  Gotta burn the chemicals off it before the next use.

I ordered one of those $100 steam cleaners and will report if it actually works on both the smoker and the AMNS.

TJ
TJ what grease remover do you use ?

I tried oven cleaner, but the chemical residue was nasty.

It's called "Super Degreaser" by Rubbermaid.  I spray it on and scrub it lightly with a small wire brush.

Short of taking out the pressure washer, it's the best I can do.

TJ

Last edited:
I have never done anything but use a small wire brush on mine. When the smoke is done I empty the cold ashes into my wifes rose garden and tap the unit on the sidewalk then hit with a brush and keep goin - so do I need a new bright shiny one Todd LOL

Kinda like a "Go Fast Car"

The cleaner it is, the faster it looks

TJ

Ok you shamed me into it - it is in the sink soaking so I can make it purdy

Mine are relegated to the category of "a clean desk is the sign of a sick person" .  I knock the ashes out, get it ready for the next Q.  I'll bet some of you polish your tools too.
icon_wink.gif
  j/k I think.  When it comes to the myriad array of "cleaners" I get a little nervous because of the possibility of cleaning residue not reacting well with heat and releasing some unwanted fumes.  Call me paranoid but I spent too many years working in an Oil Refinery, around all kinds of chemicals that are just not friendly, when heated or even just left alone.

Mine are relegated to the category of "a clean desk is the sign of a sick person" .  I knock the ashes out, get it ready for the next Q.  I'll bet some of you polish your tools too.
icon_wink.gif
  j/k I think.  When it comes to the myriad array of "cleaners" I get a little nervous because of the possibility of cleaning residue not reacting well with heat and releasing some unwanted fumes.  Call me paranoid but I spent too many years working in an Oil Refinery, around all kinds of chemicals that are just not friendly, when heated or even just left alone.
Don't worry Dave all it is getting is a good soak and brush - no chrome polish no wax

I have never done anything but use a small wire brush on mine. When the smoke is done I empty the cold ashes into my wifes rose garden and tap the unit on the sidewalk then hit with a brush and keep goin - so do I need a new bright shiny one Todd LOL

C'mon Scar,

Take it easy on the wife's rose garden!

The other day it was "peeing" in that rose garden. Was that to put the AMNS ashes out?

Bear mumbles under his breath, "Pretty young wife, and she still lets him get away with that stuff!"

Bear

I just knock the ashes in a metal bucket. Then drop it on my black top driveway, and hit it from all directions with the full force of my garden hose. That usually takes care of it. If it needs more (very seldom), I'll either brush it or put it in the DW for a trip.

Bear

C'mon Scar,

Take it easy on the wife's rose garden!

The other day it was "peeing" in that rose garden. Was that to put the AMNS ashes out?

Bear mumbles under his breath, "Pretty young wife, and she still lets him get away with that stuff!"

Bear
Why do you think I planted the dang thing. The ashes are actually good for the soil and they always need a little extra water

California??? Not hardly.

A couple of extracted quotes from Wikipedia concerning Potash.

"Potash (specially potassium carbonate) has been used from the dawn of history in bleaching textiles, making glass, and, from about A.D. 500, in making soap. Potash was principally obtained by leaching of the ashes of land and sea plants.      

Potash production provided late-18th and early-19th century settlers in North America a way to obtain badly needed cash and credit as they cleared their wooded land for crops. To make full use of their land, excess wood, including stumps, needed to be disposed. The easiest way to accomplish this was to burn any wood not needed for fuel or construction. Ashes from hardwood trees could then be used to make lye, which could either be used to make soap or boiled down to produce valuable potash.   

Potash has been used since antiquity in the manufacture of glass, soap, and soil fertilizer. Potash is important for agriculture because it improves water retention, yield, nutrient value, taste, colour, texture and disease resistance of food crops. It has wide application to fruit and vegetables, rice, wheat and other grains, sugar, corn, soybeans, palm oil and cotton, all of which benefit from the nutrient’s quality enhancing properties.[sup][9]  [/sup]

End of quotes.

The ashes from wood products you use for smoking consequently will help your garden.  I remember my Grandparents and Parents spreading the ashes from their fireplace and kitchen wood stoves in the garden beds.  Hey, it's recycling at it's simplest.

Thanks Dave for covering my back on this one. I knew I was doing the right thing for sure  

California??? Not hardly.

A couple of extracted quotes from Wikipedia concerning Potash.

"Potash (specially potassium carbonate) has been used from the dawn of history in bleaching textiles, making glass, and, from about A.D. 500, in making soap. Potash was principally obtained by leaching of the ashes of land and sea plants.      

Potash production provided late-18th and early-19th century settlers in North America a way to obtain badly needed cash and credit as they cleared their wooded land for crops. To make full use of their land, excess wood, including stumps, needed to be disposed. The easiest way to accomplish this was to burn any wood not needed for fuel or construction. Ashes from hardwood trees could then be used to make lye, which could either be used to make soap or boiled down to produce valuable potash.   

Potash has been used since antiquity in the manufacture of glass, soap, and soil fertilizer. Potash is important for agriculture because it improves water retention, yield, nutrient value, taste, colour, texture and disease resistance of food crops. It has wide application to fruit and vegetables, rice, wheat and other grains, sugar, corn, soybeans, palm oil and cotton, all of which benefit from the nutrient’s quality enhancing properties.[sup][9]  [/sup]

End of quotes.

The ashes from wood products you use for smoking consequently will help your garden.  I remember my Grandparents and Parents spreading the ashes from their fireplace and kitchen wood stoves in the garden beds.  Hey, it's recycling at it's simplest.

Yes, ashes are an excellent additive to your garden soil.  Potash if memory serves and I wouldn't really count on that.
I have a big bush growing right next to my GOSM, and that is where I dump the little ash left from burning lump and chunks. That bush looks like it is on steriods....yeah, the kind of bush that grows from the ground.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky