Aluminum fryer basket as a charcoal basket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattslot

Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
I picked up a 55 gallon drum to build my first UDS, and was shopping around for components when I found this on Amazon:

It's an aluminum basket for a fryer: 10" diameter, 12" deep, with a sturdy handle built into it. It has plenty of holes in the sides and the bottom, but it's not mesh like most of the examples. More importantly, at $33, it's comparable to building my own from parts.

I'd still need to build legs and/or an ash catcher, but this looks like it might last longer than almost any other part of the smoker.

Thoughts?

The aluminum may melt in a hot charcoal fire..  then you'd be out the $33 and have to buy steel mesh to build a new basket...  and your food would be covered with aluminum oxide dust...

A 2' X 4' sheet of Expanded Metal, depending on gauge, is $10 to $20 and can be bent to any size you want. I agree with Dave, Aluminum melts just over 1200°F and red hot burning charcoal will get there...JJ

I tried one that I had laying around. It did okay, but when I used my weed burner to light it melted near the top.

Expanded metal some bolts for legs and a pizza pan as an ash catcher works great. Buy a 12" Weber grate for the bottom. If you don't weld you can wire it all together.

Thanks everyone. I picked up the materials to make my own basket... getting excited to try it out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky