aluminum foil in the 3-2-1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duggy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Los Angeles, California
Hey all 

So i know that in the 3-2-1 method, the "2" part of it consists in having the meat wrapped in aluminum foil for two hours while it's in the smoker but what's the point of that? Would it make any difference if I didn't use aluminum foil at that time?

The idea is to get the ribs to braise while in the foil stage when you foil it is suggested that you add a little liquid to help with this. Do you have to foil NO many of our members don't try both ways and see which you prefer

Last edited:
You may also want to keep in mind that they seem to turn out best if you wrap them tightly.  I used to loosly wrap them but tight is better.

The amount of time in the foil, or no foiling at all, just has to do with personal prefferance of the texture of the finished ribs. If you like slide of the bone fork tender ribs, then use foil for a full 2 hrs. If you like a little tug, but still very tender drop the time in the foil to 1 hr. or so. I have found I can get great results without foil if I lower my cooking temps down to 200-225°. The cook takes just a little bit longer, but they come out really nice.

cool.gif

I think that everyone is giving you some good advice. So try it with the foil and then without and see whichone you prefer. I personally like the foil just not the full 2 hours. Now the foil pan I don't know how that would do because the ribs will siot in their own liquid and that's what is bothering me about the pan.

Personally, I do not foil any meat that I smoke: ribs, butts, chicken, brisket they all come out with the juices flowing and tender. I do let everything rest for awhile before I serve. I rarely spritz any juice on them while smoking. I like to have the bark on the meat. I do buy all my meat from the same market so I know the quality I am getting is the same all the time.

RP

thanks everyone for your inputs! i will definitely try both and try to post some Q views of them (am i even using that term right, "Q views")

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky