Alternatives for Mustard as a base for a rub on ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tubro

Original poster
May 20, 2014
I hate mustard.  I know everyone says you can't taste it when you use it as a base for applying a rub to ribs but I can taste it.

Any alternatives?

Was thinking maybe honey or black strap molasses?

Any ideas?

I don't use anything most of the time. IF I do its evoo.

In any rub there are water soluble flavors and fat/oil soluble flavors. Mustard has water and oil in it so it works well. As above, nothing on the meat will let the water in the meat hold and dissolve rub flavor. Oil will help and bring fat soluble flavor to the party...JJ

Reactions: tubro and duffman
Oil, honey, mustard, nothing... it all works.

With honey, there is a risk of burning because of the sugar content in it.

Oil, I don't use because there's already enough fat in the meat.

Nothing... that works fine.

Mustard, I just like the slightly different flavour profile it provides. 

Reactions: tubro
Ive used mustard many times before. Honestly I couldn't taste it after the smoke.  But if you have a serious issue with the stuff , then I'll tell you for PORK using light molassis VERY sparingly works well as an adhesive for your rub. 

Brian

I hate mustard.  I know everyone says you can't taste it when you use it as a base for applying a rub to ribs but I can taste it.

Any alternatives?

Was thinking maybe honey or black strap molasses?

Any ideas?
Just apply the rub, nothing else is needed.

The rub applied to the ribs, the rub on the cutting board is from overspray that occurred as I applied the rub with a shaker top bottle, no mustard or oil will stop that-

Just don't use Honey...It has the lowest caramelization point of 230°F. If you smoke the meat at any higher a temp the Honey will burn...JJ

All great answers above - just wondering what you decided and how did it turn out????
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

DS

Yep  lots of answers. Use anything or nothing ?   Mustard just helps the rub stick, you don't get any mustard flavor what so ever., You don't like it don't use it.

Gary

EVOO or peanut oil would work... I'll do either of these as well as mustard occasionally just to change things up a little ! Usually, it's nothing though !

The heart lady told me I should use mayo. I have used it and it works great to bake or grill with thereby allowing you to remove the skin and maintain a moist meat without adding any flavor. I can't imagine why it wouldn't hold your rub like a champ. Normally I am like the guys above, I don't use a base, just  my spices.

EVOO or peanut oil would work... I'll do either of these as well as mustard occasionally just to change things up a little ! Usually, it's nothing though !
I wouldnt recommend using peanut oil though if cooking for a community event. Ive seen someone do that with baked goods and someone with a peanut allergy didnt know and needed an epi pen and ambulance

I wouldnt recommend using peanut oil though if cooking for a community event. Ive seen someone do that with baked goods and someone with a peanut allergy didnt know and needed an epi pen and ambulance

I was simply answering the O.P. question.... "Alternatives for mustard for a base for rub on ribs".

My understanding is that the typical peanut oil is refined and has no effect on someone with peanut allergies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky