All mailboxes galvanized?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
Hi everyone. I bought a real nice mailbox for a great price to use in my mailbox mod but realized it’s galvanized. It didn’t say galvanized in the add but it clearly is since the inside is not painted. Now I can’t find one that is not galvanized. I never thought this part would be something difficult. Anyone else run into this problem?

Reactions: JLeonard
Are you sure it's galvanized and not aluminum?
Yes. In the description it said high quality steel. I researched further and it turns out it is for sure galvanized.

Yes. In the description it said high quality steel. I researched further and it turns out it is for sure galvanized.
Gotcha. I wouldn't think the maze or tube will raise the temp high enough to off gas the mailbox. But others may disagree. I do know it's not safe to use galvanized with high temp. I'm sure others will chime in

You're fine. If you're mailbox gets hot enough to create off gassing. Then you have bigger problems. You are safe up to around 390 degrees F. But, I'm a worry sort of person. So I have a probe in my mailbox to let me know what's going on. I've never seen the temp go over 150 degrees. Normally it is around 100-115. Far below a unsafe level.

You will be fine unless your maze or tube is sitting directly on the steel. Use some muffler clamps or bolts to get it an inch or two off the steel and you'll be fine. People have been using trash can smokers for many years without problems. Gavli. starts to off gas right around 370* if you're getting those temps in your mailbox you're doing something wrong.

But just in case you want an alum M.B here you go.

I used galvanized in mine but I figured the heavy metals I work with at work wood get me long before the mailbox. I did have a really hard time cutting the hole though.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
You will be fine unless your maze or tube is sitting directly on the steel. Use some muffler clamps or bolts to get it an inch or two off the steel and you'll be fine. People have been using trash can smokers for many years without problems. Gavli. starts to off gas right around 370* if you're getting those temps in your mailbox you're doing something wrong.

But just in case you want an alum M.B here you go.
My trashcan cold smoker.
20201125_085307.jpg

• Love
Reactions: forktender
Double check me but I believe you can just "burn out" your galvanized steel to eliminate all of the gassing you are worried about.
Safely start a fire directly in it and let it burn up the inside then clean it up and no more worries.
I'm positive that my flame ups have already burned out my mailbox I use a rectangular wall hanging one with my MES so the number of flare ups I have had with it have surely burned it out hahahaha. Luckily i had my AMNPS do like to flare ups and burn up while testing when I got it all so no gassout into my food :)

I used galvanized in mine but I figured the heavy metals I work with at work wood get me long before the mailbox. I did have a really hard time cutting the hole though.
Same here, I'm a retired industrial pipe fitter turned commercial plumber later in my carrier I've breathed in so many fumes that I wouldn't even worry about a galvi mailbox in the least bit. Between welding rod and soldering fluxes, acids, burning galvi Q decking with the plasma cutter and welding galvi and stainless steel the mailbox doesn't scare me one bit. Plus the metal will let you know if it's going to be a problem, if you see any yellowish powder forming on the metal surface or you feel sick to your stomach quit using it and drink a quart of whole milk with a pint of vodka and you'll be fine...just like me.:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_scream::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky