ahoy!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

izmarkie

Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Hey, everyone. Just got a Charbroil Silver and just broke it in.

I just moved across the country and decided to give my tried and true 22" Weber to my mom. I never did any serious smoking with that, and I had just really gotten the hang of slow cooking with it. I thought I would get something with a smoker box this time, plus more grill area so we could entertain.

I bought my grill/smoker the other day and put it together today. To season it, I started off with a chimney full of coals and, to my surprise, I couldn't regulate the temperature like I could with my Weber. I figured with this huge grill, I could throw a full chimney in the main chamber and not have it stay too hot. I was wrong, and on top of it, I couldn't get the temperature down. Any help with that would be appreciated.

So it's going to take some getting used to for slow cooking, but what I really wanted to do with this thing was smoke fish. I've read a bunch of stuff on cold-smoking, and whatshisface expert BBQ guy says he does it in his Weber. I have a hard time believing I could get a temp of 90 degrees max in that, let alone the one I just bought. How is that done?

Welcome to the forum! There will be someone along shortly to help you with some mods on you new smoker. Keith

So what I understand is that want to cold smoke fish and you put your chimney in the cooking chamber and not the fire box?

Hmm. I don't intend to move the grill's chimney... I was just talking about my chimney starter.

But yeah, I'd like to understand how to cold smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky