Advice/tips for shoulder clod?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
N. Oakland County, MI
Was wondering thru the meat Dep't looking for a turkey breast, and found a beef shoulder clod for $2/Lb. 14.6 lbs. Have never seen one up here in MI.

Large fat cap- interesting looking. What's done with these usually? Slice? Pull? Looks capable of both. Trim like brisket as far as fat cap thickness?

Appreciate any feedback. Gonna try to get it done today, as far as trimming/rubbing anyway.

What's a "beef shoulder clod"?
confused.gif
Never heard that term before.

Only one SMF member I know of has smoked a clod - ultramag.
Do a search, he did a post on it. Smoked it on his BDS Jumbo and it sure looked good!
Mag has faded from SMF, busy driving that truck and having a family.
PDT_Armataz_01_16.gif

OK... jeez sounds close to a roast. Dunno if I can get the ECB up that high... but I'm sure 270°'ll be fine. I thirded it and vacpacked 2 for freezing. Don't feel like a 20 hour smoke as I'm doing Easter this year, featuring my own country cured ham.

Have rubbed down the 4 Lb. hunk, and am gonna prep a rack of ribs I got while finding the turkey breast. And put the $2 Lb pork loin that I found while looking for a turkey breast in a dry cure for a run at coppacolla again. Dang...did I get the turkey breast?!?

Hi Rich;
THIS IS WHAT i ASKED ABOUT IN MY ROLL CALL 3-9-08.
I cooked mine last friday with 2 briskets. all done about the same time.
I don't own a remote internal thermometer (will next cook). cooked about 13.5 hrs.
The clod is more the shoulder than neck, ITS ALL CHUCK. One I cooked was labled 'BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB ROAST BONELESS' Leads me to believe its the start of the rib eye muscle at the shoulder. My butcher said it contained the best meat of the chuck roast group. I think stores cut this into different chuck roast. its got it all lol. like the butt from pig.
Also cooked a head of cabbage. pan of beans, and 2 chickens.
got the cabbage from MSF ALONG WITH THE BRINING OF THE CHICKENS.
Thanks MSF. under cooked the cabbage a little but the chicken was wonderful, will be brining all fowl from now on.
the clod was over cooked a little for me. still tender and taste great tho. just a little dry. Did not get complant. will do another, WITH REMOTE TEMP.
ALSO TRIED OUT MORE TIPS WITH OVER THERMOMETERS, my gauges were about 80-100 deg lower than cooking surf. and lowered vent pipe to cooking surf. using split tin can and hose clamp.
hope this helps and thanks again for MSF.
TJ

Rich,
Like you, I wondered across a clod in my grocery store last summer (August). I just looked it up in my log book. I smoked it in my GOSM using a combination of mesquite chips and hickory chunks. I put a dry rub on it and spritzed it with a combo of 2/3 cup apple juice and 1/3 cup whiskey. My clod was 6.5 lb and I smoked it at 225 to 235* It took just over 21 hours to reach an internal of 192*. I then took it out, wrapped it in foil and let it rest insulated in the cooler for about 8 hours while I slept.

When I took it out and unwrapped it, I started by slicing it. The meat practically fell apart ..... pulling was a better option. The Meat was slightly dry but tasty. It was very good but imho, not worth an all nighter. Good luck with yours.

Its just another part of what is considered "Chuck". Alot of folks call the shoulder clod a chuck roll, thats what I call em too, chuck rolls. Chuck roasts from one end, and chuck eye steaks from the other.

I know, that you know what I would do with it, but do you know if I know what you will?
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

shouldn't take ya more than 8 hrs for a 4 lber, you outta do 2 of them. try one at 180-190 for sammies, and take the other to 205 for crumpled cow!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

2 bucks a lb is a great price!

So the million dollar question rich...did you get the damn turkey breast???

I got mine and I aint sharing...
icon_twisted.gif

Did stumble across a few packs of ham hocks on sale tho...lol

Rich
I did a Clod about 2 months ago...soaked it in red wine and chives for one night the let it have a good dry rubbing the second night....smoked over plan old hickory to about 180ish then let it set in a cooler for an hour or 2..don't remember eactly....came out fantastic. Wife has been after me to do another one.

Well, just re-stocked the ECB. She's runnin' round 240 with an IT on the clod of 130. Barring a plateau, it shopuld be close by the time happy hour ends...which I'm off to soon :{) Bringing rib ends that are done. Always good for free drinks.

The clod is what I had posted awhile back from the meat shop in richmond. They just use them to make ground. They go for 2 bucks I have yet to buy any until I run out of burger. Then will check em out and see what I may use some for in the smoker.

7:30 Richtee, wake up!! Time to check the clod!
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif

hehehe, how long did it take Rich?

I hope there was some meat left.
Pics?

LOL... Was done at 1 AM. Reheated a bit an hour ago and pulled it. Nice beef, but MAN...that puppy takes some BTU's! Went 14 hours to get to pull stage.

Real nice bark, alot of collegen/gelatin in the foil. Made a finish sauce out of it and a bit of my BBQ sauce. Think I'm gonna have a pulled beef bagel for breakfast!

PS I'll go snap a pict of the sammy :{)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky