Advice stripe jerky recipe using ground venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kel krause

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
I have some recipes for strip jerky that I would love to use with ground venison.. What is the best way to convert them for the different style meat that doesn't end up to wet, to dry ? Nor over or under seasoned will be using dehydrator not smoker.. But I used up my chunks of meat for Venison Dried beef fallowing bear carvers perfect recipe..So I'm trying to use up a few ground meat pkgs We unbelievably actually have left.. 

KK., Use your venison just like you were using ground beef for jerky strips.I am assuming your venison burger was mixed around 4:1 ? Add your seasonings dry , mix well,flatten, and cut into into strips. Type in ground beef jerky in the search bar above for some good ideas !

Reactions: kel krause
Ok I didn't know if I had to reduce the amount of liquid...if I'm using say teriyaki recipe that has soy & wine in..the meat I have isn't mixed with any fat straight Venison.. I will check the ground beef jerky recipes out Thanks

Last edited:
You will want to avoid using too much liquid when forming strips. Start with a 1/4 cup liquid per 5 pounds of ground meat. Mix well, then test the consistency. Add more liquid if its too stiff.  Keep in mind that it will usually thicken a bit as it rests in the fridge. If you're shooting this out of a jerky gun it helps to have a bit of liquid in the mix. If you're rolling it out and cutting strips then the mix is better to be a bit stiff.

Your lean venison should be just fine, but you may want to add 10%-15% ground pork butt or it might not keep its form.

Last edited:
Reactions: kel krause
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky