1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newtgadget, Jul 7, 2006.

1. newtgadget

newtgadget Fire Starter

Does anyone have some good advice on frequency and types of cleaning supplies you utilize on your smokers?

2. icemn62

icemn62 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I just use oven cleaner my wife picks up at the $.99 store. Does a good job on getting the gunk off the racks. The buildup of grease on the inside I look upon as being seasoning.

3. monty

monty Master of the Pit Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hey, Bob! Welcome to all of our back yards!

I generally clean my racks and the body of my smokers with an orange based cleaner. Then I wash the racks again in Dawn. I don't get too fussy with the grease pan except to empty it and wash it out a bit with hot water.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers!
    Monty

4. newtgadget

newtgadget Fire Starter

Monty and Gary,

Thanks for the quick tips.

BTW: Ribs I did over the fourth were delicious!!

Over the 4th, I modified my propane smoker with a Ranco ETC controller and a solenoid to keep the temp dead on 220F plus or minus whatever diff I want. Works like a charm. No more worrying about long cook times and lack of water in the pan to control temp.

I am starting to get interested in purchasing a wood/ charcoal / pellet smoker. I am looking to spend $500 or so.
    what does everyone recomend?