Advice on Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaye220

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hey all-

Doing my first beef ribs tomorrow and was just wondering how people recommend doing them. Any rub/mop suggestions? how about cooking times? I saw some nice-looking ones on here the other day (forgot who did them...sorry) and he said he just went by looks rather than temps.

So many people on SMF have contributed great ideas to my first smokes of pork ribs, pork butts, chuckies, chicken, salmon and more. Love to hear what you guys say about beef ribs. Thanks in advance for the help.

I do them 3-2-1 like spare ribs. For my beef rub I don't like much if any sugar so it is paparika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and corriander. Rub them up and give them 3 hours of smoke around 250*, then foil and cook 2 hours, then unwrap and give them another hour. If you like sause you can put it on the last half hour but I prefer them without it.

Beef ribs are my favorite!
icon_smile.gif
I just use kosher salt, cbp, garlic and evoo as a rub. Smoke them with your choice of wood at 250 until the meat starts to pull away from the bone. I don't bother with foil. I don't think it's necessary. They're usually done for me in about 4 hours. I don't bother with sauce either.
icon_lol.gif

Give it a try and see how you like it. If it doesn't float your boat, then try it a different way next time. That's part of the fun of smoking, finding out what you like and don't like.

I like beef ribs the best. I rub them with a mixture of butt rub, walkers island jerk seasoning (from jamacia) and garlic, with evoo first. smoke with any kind of fruit woods and let them rip. 3-4 hours until falling of the bone good.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Dawn -- you're the winner because your method is the most low-maintenance...figure there's no need to reinvent the wheel, at least not the first time.

Ribs have been on for 2.5 hours and things are looking good. I'll post a full Q-View later in the day or tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky